No announcement yet.

An end of an Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the harm in keeping one pure pub and make it NOT the pub youre automatically thrown in when logging on?

i liked the basing in pure pub every once and a while. being a ter and dodging the jav bombs on my team was kinda fun

so yeah, just to ask again: whats the harm in keeping 1 pure pub still active? long as its not the default pub when entering?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I think restricting access to private frequencies is a good start. Distention works because it gives people something to work for, some feed back. If we can weave those ideas into publics I think we can go without restrictions but still enhance the game play. The Timer game was bloated and mostly annoying to me, too much green spam. A small tweak to the objectives needs to state that where possible development should focus on a more open model of game play unrestricted and balanced, inclusive not reclusive.

Comment

keep the timer
        stop tks
        chance the weasel

Comment

I'm a little confused. You said pure pub "killed" non-pure pub. Doesn't that mean it was a better idea? If more people wanted to play pure pub than non-pure pub, why the hell would you kill pure pub? That seems to be the exact reverse of the correct approach: reward and expand upon successful ideas, banish unsuccessful ones to the void.

edit: I also disagree that no one ever knew what to do in pub. That seems a disingenuous claim to me. Killing people and flagging in pub earns you points, and there was a leaderboard posted in the public arena once upon a time of which players and squads earned the most points. Every player entering the game saw that scoreboard.
          Originally posted by Ward
          OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Hmm. Having dedicated quite a few hours into what I honestly believe to be a step toward improving pub -- if I may be so bold as to say, far more than you, Moot, despite your committee -- I'm not exactly happy with this result. I have some pride in the continuation of Guano's original bot that began by just limiting levis and private freqs into the development of the timed game, and do consider it to be for the best.

This is interesting as an experiment, but I don't believe the right move. There are two attractions for pub, at least for me: the chaotic spawnfest which focuses on dueling and is quite a good time on occasion, though for a limited time, and the more competetive base-oriented pub where new players learn how to base. Of the two, I don't think I'm the only one that prefers the second most of the time.

Times have changed greatly. Old players are getting bored of pubbing. The veteran basers you speak of that will show people how to base are few and far between. I don't think you're going to see teamwork just springing up from nowhere when most people are interested in just making a kill or two. I'm not sure why, but the flag by itself was just more valuable 5 years ago. These days it's rare that anyone gives a damn about it unless there's some goal to it -- holding for such and such a time adding that value. Yes, we have a bot telling us to do it, but capturing and holding the flag is not its own reward anymore. You say it's not fully explained by zone staff: but is capturing the flag without the bot explained either? The game is naturally absurd.

You say we'll have all types of gameplay across different arenas. Looks like no kind of basing across all arenas to me, as one person pointed out above. Ridiculous.

Encourages teamwork with all ships? I just don't see it. How do you "have plenty of fun working in teams" if there's no real objective -- if people don't value getting the flag today as they did 5 years ago? How can you work as a team to do nothing?

This decision was rash, incredibly naive, and absolutely whimsical. Your arguments sound as though you're trying to convince yourself. If you want to salvage this but still maintain a balance between freedom and diversity (because this kills diversity, kills it, not increases it, if you hadn't thought that far!) I would recommend re-enabling private frequencies and the timed game without !warp functionality. I'd be glad also to modify anything as necessary.

...Christ.

Comment

Mobey, Vyk, and gdug put it perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                Hmm. Having dedicated quite a few hours into what I honestly believe to be a step toward improving pub -- if I may be so bold as to say, far more than you, Moot, despite your committee -- I'm not exactly happy with this result. I have some pride in the continuation of Guano's original bot that began by just limiting levis and private freqs into the development of the timed game, and do consider it to be for the best.

This is interesting as an experiment, but I don't believe the right move. There are two attractions for pub, at least for me: the chaotic spawnfest which focuses on dueling and is quite a good time on occasion, though for a limited time, and the more competetive base-oriented pub where new players learn how to base. Of the two, I don't think I'm the only one that prefers the second most of the time.

Times have changed greatly. Old players are getting bored of pubbing. The veteran basers you speak of that will show people how to base are few and far between. I don't think you're going to see teamwork just springing up from nowhere when most people are interested in just making a kill or two. I'm not sure why, but the flag by itself was just more valuable 5 years ago. These days it's rare that anyone gives a damn about it unless there's some goal to it -- holding for such and such a time adding that value. Yes, we have a bot telling us to do it, but capturing and holding the flag is not its own reward anymore. You say it's not fully explained by zone staff: but is capturing the flag without the bot explained either? The game is naturally absurd.

You say we'll have all types of gameplay across different arenas. Looks like no kind of basing across all arenas to me, as one person pointed out above. Ridiculous.

Encourages teamwork with all ships? I just don't see it. How do you "have plenty of fun working in teams" if there's no real objective -- if people don't value getting the flag today as they did 5 years ago? How can you work as a team to do nothing?

This decision was rash, incredibly naive, and absolutely whimsical. Your arguments sound as though you're trying to convince yourself. If you want to salvage this but still maintain a balance between freedom and diversity (because this kills diversity, kills it, not increases it, if you hadn't thought that far!) I would recommend re-enabling private frequencies and the timed game without !warp functionality. I'd be glad also to modify anything as necessary.

...Christ.

All your work is appreciated. But what is the objective of TW? Is the objective to grow? If so, what is the TW's development road map and how does it fit within SS product road map? What is the plan for the servers as all of this grows?

Spending time on the smaller tactical stuff makes no sense if there is no real direction at the high level.

Comment

Personally, I never went back to pub after I left it.... until pure pubs came as far as they did. You can bet I'll never waste my time there again at this rate. Did you consider throwing a poll out there before you decided to do this? It seems like everyone posting thought the pure pub had some things over classic pub. Why just throw away all that work? Not only does it seem backwards, I think you're stepping on some people's toes who have put a lot of time and effort into this game. You can make as many posts as you want saying what we should do in pubs, but let's be honest, no newbies are going to come to this forums for instructions for pub. You've taken a well-designed task-driven environment where newbies don't have to know anything really to participate and taken all direction from it. Two thumbs down, dude.
                  -Dave

Comment

This is so totally wrong. I demand a pure pub!

With new settings you don't have an objective. Just pointless killing for no reason. And why would you keep base? For points? Pffft. The settings before yesterday were awesome. Nice crams but pub style. And the occasional annoying weazel.

I never liked twbd. Boring settings that don't allow special strategies. Pure pub (and now distension) were the main reasons I logged into TW at all.

Refusing to play pub until you bring pure pub back.

PS: Pure pub would be funnier with a limit to say 4 javs per freq.
                    7:No one can kill me> the lord with the hoard, got it in da smorgasbord - holla da dolla, taller than jan koller
                    7:No one can kill me> you noes its all about the euroes, its how you pay the hoes, the flows just goes
                    7:No one can kill me> its maddack, nobody else dats wack - he aint sellin crack its just the dollas on his back
                    7:No one can kill me> dollar2daeuro, its ur currency hero got any money you please, convertin wit da ease

Comment

Anyone who thinks that pure-pub is "basing" is sadly mistaken. i've never seen a purepub game look anything like a twbd or a twlb game, its normally FR full of javs on one team with the other team full of javs below the fr. They spend thier time shooting at each other, then reporting for the teamkills.

One freq normally wins countless rounds in a row, then another does and they swap.

The limited (and occasional) basing with a good mix of ships you get in non-pure-pub is CLOSER to what basing is meant to be imo. basing does go on in non-pure pubs, but because people dont camp the flagroom (thats a sui tactic with LT about) its not recoginised.

Personally I think the timer should stay, that was the best thing about pure-pub. but it must be less intrusive, let players choose not to base if they don't want to and remove the !warp functionality, that just ends in a laggy tk fest. My suggestion would be to trial a "purepub" arena.
                      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Um private freq point requirements?

I mean if I was so happy that this zone wised up I'd shit a brick for how stupid that is.

Stop trying to stop fun and start having some.

brb LTing.
                        Bounty <ZH> - I just went from 3 to 39 bounty in one shot
                        Dr. Snyder - Why'd you attack the world trade center?

DaKo is out. 0 wins 10 losses

Comment

Flabby why would pure pub be anything like twbd when you have better settings for lanc and weazel? Just limit the allowed of javs per freq in pure pub and I will be totally superhappy and play pub alot more. Stupid javs are the ONLY thing that I found annoying.

Please make a poll on this awful change.
                          7:No one can kill me> the lord with the hoard, got it in da smorgasbord - holla da dolla, taller than jan koller
                          7:No one can kill me> you noes its all about the euroes, its how you pay the hoes, the flows just goes
                          7:No one can kill me> its maddack, nobody else dats wack - he aint sellin crack its just the dollas on his back
                          7:No one can kill me> dollar2daeuro, its ur currency hero got any money you please, convertin wit da ease

Comment

Originally posted by maddack View Post
                            Flabby why would pure pub be anything like twbd when you have better settings for lanc and weazel? Just limit the allowed of javs per freq in pure pub and I will be totally superhappy and play pub alot more. Stupid javs are the ONLY thing that I found annoying.

Please make a poll on this awful change.
                            Lanc settings are the same in pub as TWBD.
                            Weasel settings SHOULD be the same in TWLB as pub imo

Why stop at Leviathans and Javs, Lets limit the sharks and terriers as well As too many sharks camping tube get "annoying" and 6 terrier in flagroom bursting on !warp get annoying. Lets restrict the number of wbs are "1 shot kills" are annoying....Lets get rid of these newbies stealing the ships I want to play, i want to be javelin....oh look what we've ended up with its ?go base :P
                            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Pure Pubs will be sorely missed. they were one of the reasons I started to pub again.

It's these little things, they can pull you under.

Live your life filled with joy and thunder.

Yeah, yeah we were altogether

lost in our little lives.

Comment

Originally posted by WorstPlayerEver View Post
                                Pure Pubs will be sorely missed. they were one of the reasons I started to pub again.
                                this will probably be the general consensus except for the blue-bomb happy-fucks who are now overjoyed

pubs were getting to be kinda fun again. good thing we put a stop to that.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X