No announcement yet.

An end of an Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All that is needed is not having LT's be so dominant.

If a Levi is attached to a terr, it can't warp. If a levi is attached to a terr, it has a slow power drain, or needs to maintain a level of energy to attach (like other ships) but needs same to remain attached. They shoot, they detach until it builds back up.

Can one of those or another of the million ideas be implemented? Then I say timed pubs with LT's is just fine.

Oh yea! In pure pub, if a ship doesn't enter mid after a few minutes it's booted out of pure pub. That will remove lame roofers and snipers that sit and victimize people trying to base. They're getting easy pickings from people that are trying.

I'm glad I checked back. See you in the game.

eh, no ya won't.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'm sure it was a tough decision to remove them just as it was a tough decision to implement them. It wasn't really your fault, but I honestly felt and still do believe that the people that disliked LT's and whatnot were far outspoken than those that could tolerate the LT's or even enjoy hunting/playing with them on these forums. People often said that pure publics were much more popular but I always challenged that at least some of their popularity had to do with them being the first arena on the arena list, so people naturally entered into them. Now instead of those default arena's forcing basing, they allow for basing, LT'ing, LT hunting, dueling, turrets (better when Dock> would increase the attach limit for the weekend), etc. You let the player choose what they want to play.

Here's a quote, "DoCk>: The toughest job is trying to figure out what is good for the public, and not what is
      public demand. Sometimes decisions can be extremely unpopular but then grown to be accepted
      later on. This is a fact of life of being Sysop, and every little change or move, simply
      because of the size of this zone, causes a lot of heat to be turned on the zone's staff."

Edit: Jeez, that didn't last long. Never mind everything.
      Last edited by Reaver; 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM.
      1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
      3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
      3:Best> see it coming
      3:Best> sad

Comment

I know there's a setting to slow a ship if it is holding a flag. Can this be done to LTs? Slow down the terrier if a levi is attached. A baseterr would not be affected as the levi should unattach.

I personally loved publics the way they were during the first few years I played Trench Wars. Players had a choice on what they wanted to do in publics: duel warbirds/spawnkill, hunt the LTs, base, or private freq carnage, etc. These things still exist in Trench Wars, they were just taken out of the publics and into their own type of arena. I'm not saying these events should be taken out (a couple maybe) but I don't think you should force players in public to only base.

Comment

In old days we didn't need restrictions on ships or freqs and there was awesome basing in pub. I haven't been in pub very often in the past couple years (literally) but when I am there, I see no real basing. Even with the bots warping people into the flagroom, etc.

I think it is the people that have changed. Changing the settings isn't going to bring life back to the way it used to be. Thankfully we have ?go base, so I can still have a good game of basing many times daily. And TWBD.

Make no mistake folks, this zone is a basing zone. It always has been, it always will be. Look at the map! There is a base, with a flag. That's the entire point of it. Sure, technically you can come in here and not base, people have done that in spades for ages, but it is not what the zone is for. We used to call those people noobs, and tell them how to play the game.

// Attach to the terr!! Tick his name with page up/down and press F7.
          // ATTACH WE NEED HELP!

Eventually the noob figures it out and has a blast.

The levs and lev terrs were a part of the excitment of basing. You always had to send a couple people out to kill a levterr if it was causing too much problems for the basers. There is no levterring without a healthy game of basing. After all, who the fuck are you shooting at? The basers! And getting a greened lev into the flagroom to shoot the poor saps trying to get in. That was great! It used to be a goal. When a team got into the flagroom they tried to green a lev to set up shop in there. Seasoned basers did this, not newbie lev pilots. That is probably why everyone lined back them instead of cramming. The lev would destroy its own cram.

Fuck this used to be a fun game... Mmmmmm... Crown of Thorns my sexy baser babe, where are you? Paladens of years gone by... Ohh, where oh where are youuuu.....
          Spider
          Formerly EEK! A Spider!
          Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

Mootland Farmer

I've a brighter idea that you could "test" and see how they go.

The following image is a rough draft of what the public arena shoud look like. I full-heartedly agree that pure pubs be removed, it's just the general first-feel of the game that I think people need a brighter light on.

So, in this proposal, I suggest you:

Label a spawn-zone with "Base" on top, and "Random Warps / Free-Fighting" on the bottom. (see image)

When player flies over the safe tileset for "Base" it warps you to a random point in the base, or when you fly into Random Warps / Free-Fighting, it warps you near the astroids outside the base, near the old spawn points.

If you look at my image, you can even move the safe-zone from the middle to a seperate isolated point in the map outside of the "O" that the whole arena is surrounded by in asteroids, so when players enter a ship they appear in a safe zone and pick whether to appear in the base or the old spawn point.

See picture:
            http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/191...roposalre0.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++

Sorry, here's an edited image of it for more clarity:
            http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1...oposal2ma7.jpg

Here's what I meant by moving the spawn zone to "outside" the asteroid "O":

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5...oposal3yx3.jpg

Last edited by Xog; 12-03-2007, 10:05 PM.

Comment

You got my attention

I haven't posted here before, let alone read any of this mostly silly prattle, but when I hear something almost happened that I would have been very annoyed by, it's time to speak up.

I appreciate you guys who spend your time managing whatever you manage while I don't have to pay a cent. However, removing pure pub is asinine.

The thing that disturbed me most is the acknowledgement that the loss of "vets" is acceptable. You'd think that there would be a little more loyalty to us, who have been adding to the game and not abusing it for years upon years.

Thank you for coming to your senses.

Venice

Comment

:up::up:
                ?
                ¿

Comment

Originally posted by Xog View Post
                  I've a brighter idea that you could "test" and see how they go.

The following image is a rough draft of what the public arena shoud look like. I full-heartedly agree that pure pubs be removed, it's just the general first-feel of the game that I think people need a brighter light on.

So, in this proposal, I suggest you:

Label a spawn-zone with "Base" on top, and "Random Warps / Free-Fighting" on the bottom. (see image)

When player flies over the safe tileset for "Base" it warps you to a random point in the base, or when you fly into Random Warps / Free-Fighting, it warps you near the astroids outside the base, near the old spawn points.

If you look at my image, you can even move the safe-zone from the middle to a seperate isolated point in the map outside of the "O" that the whole arena is surrounded by in asteroids, so when players enter a ship they appear in a safe zone and pick whether to appear in the base or the old spawn point.

See picture:
                  http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/191...roposalre0.jpg

Sorry, here's an edited image of it for more clarity:
                  http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1...oposal2ma7.jpg

Here's what I meant by moving the spawn zone to "outside" the asteroid "O":

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5...oposal3yx3.jpg

^^^

Comment

:turned:
                    Last edited by ignite ignite; 04-11-2008, 03:23 PM.

Comment

sorry ignite ignite, I tried to help but god forbid me by making you post a stupid comment that didn't help in any way shape or form.

If I did what you just did I would be banned.

This place sucks. Now I'm gonna get banned, watch.

Comment

The next generation ( Y ) (not juicy buttcheek generation) is projected to be "ultra conservative".
                        The most rebelious are allowed to wreak havoc inorder to stimulate conservation and inspire law while the elderly are cut loose.
                        Ahh well. So long and thanks for all the fish.
                        /fem
                        Public Enemy#1
                        Best Pub Terr
                        Fi> where are my freedom letters going?
                        Shock Halo> howdy, OMG I want to retire but I'm too broke and not good enough lookin to be a hooker!

warbit> FreeSpirit is truly my spirit animal.

Amnesti> tiger told me u called him lyme disease retard

Comment

my 2 cents

I couldn't be more happy to get rid of the pure pubs. Pubs should be for everyone and pubs should have consistant rules thru every pub... not only that, but there should be as many pubs as possible (key to population growth).

Hosted basing zones will still be here, TW league zones will always be around. There will never be a lack of hosted zones where there are special rules or ship restrictions... in fact there are too many of them too and too many hosted automatically.

I'm all for changes that would encourage good basing games, but levs/lts should be a part of that game play. As some people have correctly stated, the league people have forgotten how to stop LTs. Perhaps levs should be a part of league games. I am a pub player and probably always will be, but if levs were part of league, I may consider it.

What we should all be after is good game play, pure pubs never delivered on that, pubs have been in decline ever since, it was not that long ago that there were at least 5 pubs. One element was not that bad: timed games. I have heard some criticism of the idea of limiting priv freq population, but for now I still think it may help, or perhaps a greater incentive to stay on pub freqs.. because I DO know that too many people on priv freqs WILL hurt good gaming. I am open to change, but I am not open to only having one or two normal pubs, it was many pubs with the same rules that made TW great.

For the people complaining about getting rid of pure pubs... I can only say: your NOT loosing your ability to play pure basing games, even with pure pubs gone, the majority of the zones in TW now are STILL pure basing.

Comment

Alright, lets start from the top.

RoboBoy is now in the second Public arena. This idea came from someone who is in the Public Committee. This will see how popular Pure Publics actually are.

I'm a little confused. You said pure pub "killed" non-pure pub. Doesn't that mean it was a better idea? If more people wanted to play pure pub than non-pure pub, why the hell would you kill pure pub? That seems to be the exact reverse of the correct approach: reward and expand upon successful ideas, banish unsuccessful ones to the void.By Vykromond

Prior to Pure Publics, Basing occurred in any Public arena, or many arenas at once. Now it doesn't. Also, up until now, I haven't really seen how popular Pure Publics are except for the response on the forums. Hopefully the Pure Public population can justify this response.

edit: I also disagree that no one ever knew what to do in pub. That seems a disingenuous claim to me. Killing people and flagging in pub earns you points, and there was a leaderboard posted in the public arena once upon a time of which players and squads earned the most points. Every player entering the game saw that scoreboard By Vykromond

Yeah, you knew what to do. But did others? Hell, I didn't when I first started playing. Yes, there may have been a leaderboard, and even statistics in a website, but those things faded away. My point is we need those kinda things back.

I should know better than to make hasty decisions, but you really think this job is easy? DoCK said a good quote that someone mentioned. Literally everyone has an opinion about what I should do with Publics, and no it's not filtered to where it comes out like phrases of 'remove Leviathans', 'change Weasels' etc. There are hundreds of ideas, and maybe, just maybe this was a bad one, but regardless of what has happened, I will persist to make Publics better. However, I'm glad you guys still like my creation, and the extentions that Cpt.Guano! and Dugwyler have made to it.

I like to look for positives when things do not go your way, and a discussion of this topic is such one. I have gained new insight to how you guys feel and perhaps what I should do with Publics, so I thank you for that. I want to remain a strong leader for this zone, and impact it as such, it's a more enjoyable for you guys.
                            "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
                            • Shark
                            • Dicer
                            • Sager
                            • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

:turned:
                              Last edited by ignite ignite; 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
                                Also, up until now, I haven't really seen how popular Pure Publics are except for the response on the forums.

Im confused to as how you can see how popular pure pub is (or isnt). Do you make assumptions based on the feedback of a minority (the forum, which, as a community, does not play pure pub all that much), or do you look at the number of people playing at any given time, or what?

Variety can benefit better than dictatorship. Let us pubbers choose which pub we want to play in, instead of limiting our possibilities for us just to achieve an intangible "greater good".

I cannot see how this method can attract newcomers. The zone's population crisis is due to the game itself, not to the running of the zone. Trying radical approach may actually damage the game and it's already-fragile player base.

As for me, I realize that I won't be playing as much anymore. After everything, i just want to shoot a few ships (pew, pew, i know) and play in a relaxed and simple team-orientated game. With the removal of pure, i feel a void in pub and in ss.

Mayb it's an extreme sense of nostalgia talking, but plz, plz, bring back the pure pubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X