Competing with WoW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
    Not really. I just don't see much appeal to WoW because what you spend the majority of the time doing -- killing mobs and collecting items -- isn't done in an entertaining way. It requires you to do almost nothing, has never once managed to get my blood pumping... initially I admit it's interesting, but then you realize it's largely just a very prettily-dressed exercise in the very tedious. It relies on the larger picture -- getting to level X, seeing such and such new area, getting the better mount so that travelling isn't so goddamn boring -- whereas Subspace is enjoyable on a minute level. Just flying around is often a pleasure. Where it's lacking is having any goal past killing some people and grabbing flags.
    You can't compare a game that gives you satisfaction by the minute, from heavier games that relies on time investment. I should know, because I've played both games to a pretty heavy extent. You can't compare any tiny games vs a big MMORPG in that way. The closest comparison I can do is if you take the biggest TW moment against the biggest WoW moment I've had, but getting to either of those two points have taken quite some investment of time.

The most rewarding moment in my TW career must have been a TWL game that I got a good rec and carried my squad the best. Which too requires a heavy time investment to become skilled enough, blow up enough spaceship so I'm faster and more accurate to calculate ship positions. The same in WoW must've been a firstkill on a end-game boss in a competitive squad, world based. The rush of adrenaline, and joy of achievement was so much greater in WoW that it can't even be compared.

Judging WoW after taking a few random quests, and getting to level X before quitting would be like judging SS after trying the different ships in a few different arenas. Both will be boring if it doesn't give you a taste for more.

I can say without a doubt that WoW is a superior game in every way. Subspace is unique, and maniges to have it draw players still to day, after 10 years, but saying that it's a better game is just a lack of perspective.
    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

POINT AND CLICK fTW

Comment

But which game offers a greater capacity to be as much of a jerk as possible to as many people at once?
        FREE MANDELA

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
          besides like... all of pallies, i fail to see who really left us for WoW anyway
          While he was on Pallies, I think THE PUSHER deserves to be mentioned separately considering how devastating the loss of him was to Trench Wars.
          7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
          Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
          TWLJ Champion Season 11
          TWLB All-Star Season 10
          Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

was he your dumbledore, dude?

Comment

If its good enough for WoW. Who shall we get to play TW? then do a tv plug?
              I suggest Orlando bloom. We'd get more women playing

Comment

George Clooney

Comment

Jeem, you know who The [motherfucking (honorific)] Boredoms are -- so I have to accept your analysis with eyes closed and not stir the pot.

As to Noah, who in contrast does not like The Boredoms, of course you can compare two games of much different styles. You can compare any two things. Let's compare Fats Waller to a toaster. Fats Waller is dead, but was once alive, while this toaster never was. Also, Fats Waller was fat, while this toaster is normal-sized. But Fats Waller could cook toast just as well as the toaster -- if not better. You see here that the nature of a comparison is to examine similarities and differences.

What you propose to do to gauge the quality of a game -- compare the "best" moment from each -- is a very poor method indeed. This is simply how you want to compare them, because you love the WoW. Allow me to illustrate:

Let's ask a crackhead who, by definition, loves the crack, "Which is better, Mr. Crackhead: crack cocaine, or alcohol?" Okay, he says crack, because he enjoys crack immensely, of course, but when we ask him to elaborate, he has to think a moment due to the now very poor quality of his crack-addled brain. He says that he doesn't think he can compare the drugs ... no, they're too different ... but if he had to, he would do so by comparing the best moments he's had on each. And WoW, what a LOT of great moments he's had on crack! "Crack is better in every way!"

But those who do not smoke crack know better. They know that while crack is probably pretty great sometimes, it's also pretty terrible the rest of the time; they know it's an expensive habit that's hard to kick; they know that it alienates you from your friends that don't smoke crack; and most of all, they know it usually turns you into a pathetic excuse for a human that just sits in front of a crack pipe 14 hours a day.

QED.

Comment

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                    Jeem, you know who The [motherfucking (honorific)] Boredoms are -- so I have to accept your analysis with eyes closed and not stir the pot.

As to Noah, who in contrast does not like The Boredoms, of course you can compare two games of much different styles. You can compare any two things. Let's compare Fats Waller to a toaster. Fats Waller is dead, but was once alive, while this toaster never was. Also, Fats Waller was fat, while this toaster is normal-sized. But Fats Waller could cook toast just as well as the toaster -- if not better. You see here that the nature of a comparison is to examine similarities and differences.

What you propose to do to gauge the quality of a game -- compare the "best" moment from each -- is a very poor method indeed. This is simply how you want to compare them, because you love the WoW. Allow me to illustrate:

Let's ask a crackhead who, by definition, loves the crack, "Which is better, Mr. Crackhead: crack cocaine, or alcohol?" Okay, he says crack, because he enjoys crack immensely, of course, but when we ask him to elaborate, he has to think a moment due to the now very poor quality of his crack-addled brain. He says that he doesn't think he can compare the drugs ... no, they're too different ... but if he had to, he would do so by comparing the best moments he's had on each. And WoW, what a LOT of great moments he's had on crack! "Crack is better in every way!"

But those who do not smoke crack know better. They know that while crack is probably pretty great sometimes, it's also pretty terrible the rest of the time; they know it's an expensive habit that's hard to kick; they know that it alienates you from your friends that don't smoke crack; and most of all, they know it usually turns you into a pathetic excuse for a human that just sits in front of a crack pipe 14 hours a day.

QED.
                    By that definition, yes, you can compare anything, but if the quality of the comparison is less than worthless, it's no point in doing so. If you want to have examples of that, look at both of your comparisons. If you want to get into a deeper discussion about that, and definitions, I'll leave you to contemplate that along with TelCat, because I have no interest in doing so.

What have you been smoking when you went on with the next bit of your post? There is plenty of those who has played way too much of this game to be healthy as well, want to compare them with crackheads as well? Just like WoW, there are players in this game that plays way too much, average or close to nothing.

Next on you are assuming that I've only had fun while doing the heavy raiding shit, but I had a blast playing from 1 to 60 casually, the battlegrounds in the periods I didn't play much, and just hanging out in guild chat. I still think that the best comparison to be done is to compare how rewarding both of the games have been to me. As a tiny game can be highly rewarding, if only for a short time.

Most of your "QED" post is based on retarded assumptions on how I've played WoW, and what I think about it now.
                    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer. View Post
                      Holy shit, its 141am here and im watching teletoon. I just saw two commercials. Mr. T. and William shatner.... WILLIAM SHATNER! doing plugs for WoW.....

TW! WE need to do something!
                      Hey, Mr. T is probably the best damn thing that ever happened to this planet.

William Shatner ain't half bad either.

Anyway, I'm not sure what angle you're trying to tackle the situation with in relation to your post. Are you trying to say we need famous people to advertise Continuum on national television? We know TW needs help, and I know you're trying to still raise awareness, but I thought you'd at least have some form of productive idea that could compete with WoW or something (I don't know).

Good effort though =\
                      (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                      5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                      1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                      1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

Here's a solution: one of us should get famous then advertise the game. But when you do get famous, try remembering us through all the life of luxury you will be living in... damn catch-22's...
                        sigpic
                        All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Well one major difference between the two games is that WOW can afford to hire a celebrity to do a commercial.

Maybe we should just look into how much it would cost to even have a couple of stick men on the old boob tube for 30 seconds. TV spots are great would be a good way to do it. Even if its the cheap midnight and later times.
                          Mootland Farmer> Yeah, I have bad toe fetish. Like a koala and gum leaves kinda fetish.

Mootland Farmer> Stop quoting me dammit

Thorkell <ZH>> Mootland Farmer> Stop quoting me dammit

Comment

Working...
                          X