No announcement yet.

Should we raise the max resolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted no to raising the res simply because it does create an unfair advantage, back from like 99-01 when I was a lot better than I am now I used 2048x1536 or something like that and I know for a fact although I hate admitting it that is why I was as dominate as I was. Right when I returned to playing and was using 1280 res the game was much more of a challenge and people I could easily kill before became much more of a challenge and I had to adapt my playstyle. Even to this day I still don't think I've adjusted, for a long long time I never really had to use radar much and now it's a big part of the game that I don't think I've fully adjusted too sadly.

Anyway if you eliminate the res cap thats fine and I'll go back up to using 2048 res and it would be fun but trust me it wouldn't be good for the community and trying to have multiple competitive teams in TWL. Even back on Elusive if I remember right we would only recruit people with 1600+ res (referring back to first gen elusive) because it made that much of a difference in duels. Even if you're better than me I can wear on your patience and stay away never dying from strays or anything from a distance and eventually everyone has a breaking point where they are going to play differently from being annoyed etc.

From someone who has played the game for about 10 years and played competitively on both ends of the spectrum the game is much more of a challenge now and is based more on skill than hardware.

edit: and with people with wide screens although it sucks with how it looks and understand fully your position because I've tried it, we both sure as hell know that it would create an advantage from side to side in TWL. Yes you may see a bit less on the up and down and overall its a bit less overall pixels you can't deny the fact that it would create an advantage. From my own experience a majority of the fights happen from the sides and most good players(not all) use side to side fighting as a strategy because it's much easier to dodge due to momentum of your ship etc. Can't deny it and if you do you're just shooting for an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by HFShadow View Post
      Not everybody plays on a desktop...... I can't exactly spend $100 to upgrade my brand new laptops lcd from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 since they don't even make 15" panels with a res that high.
      Point taken regarding laptops, but that's your choice. No other online game caps resolution just because of laptop gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack View Post
        I voted no to raising the res simply because it does create an unfair advantage, back from like 99-01 when I was a lot better than I am now I used 2048x1536 or something like that and I know for a fact although I hate admitting it that is why I was as dominate as I was. Right when I returned to playing and was using 1280 res the game was much more of a challenge and people I could easily kill before became much more of a challenge and I had to adapt my playstyle. Even to this day I still don't think I've adjusted, for a long long time I never really had to use radar much and now it's a big part of the game that I don't think I've fully adjusted too sadly.

Anyway if you eliminate the res cap thats fine and I'll go back up to using 2048 res and it would be fun but trust me it wouldn't be good for the community and trying to have multiple competitive teams in TWL. Even back on Elusive if I remember right we would only recruit people with 1600+ res (referring back to first gen elusive) because it made that much of a difference in duels. Even if you're better than me I can wear on your patience and stay away never dying from strays or anything from a distance and eventually everyone has a breaking point where they are going to play differently from being annoyed etc.

From someone who has played the game for about 10 years and played competitively on both ends of the spectrum the game is much more of a challenge now and is based more on skill than hardware.

edit: and with people with wide screens although it sucks with how it looks and understand fully your position because I've tried it, we both sure as hell know that it would create an advantage from side to side in TWL. Yes you may see a bit less on the up and down and overall its a bit less overall pixels you can't deny the fact that it would create an advantage. From my own experience a majority of the fights happen from the sides and most good players(not all) use side to side fighting as a strategy because it's much easier to dodge due to momentum of your ship etc. Can't deny it and if you do you're just shooting for an advantage.
        Just remove the cap in pub then, 1, because no one's busy dodging bullets from a mile away in there as it's basing, and 2, because it's not competitive in the first place

Comment

Good point but as I remember and correct me if I'm wrong the sysop put it as 1280x1240 because Trenchwars base was specifically set up for that resolution.

And I think even public is competitive, I know for myself the reason I play any video game from Subspace to call of duty on xbox or even pacman at the bowling alley I play to win and in order to win you have to be competitive with the competition.

I guess I assumed that most of this was regarding how it would impact the competitive nature of the game, TWLJ-D-B since that is the reason why most of us play the game. I know for myself if there wasn't a league I wouldn't log on and I'm sure many more feel the same.

People in pub may play more for just fun and thats great if it's for fun they also probably don't care what res it is, for those who only care about competition like myself adjusting the res again does have a game changing impact.

From my previous post I attempted to also point out why the impact on the game would not be positive, again from a competitive standpoint which I feel is the heart and soul of what is left of this zone without it what do we have?

Comment

Change is sometimes good

Poll Results:

Cap will stay in place

I would say like 80 percent of TW's players use lcds.(most in widescreen format). TW needs to seriously look at this issue. I enjoy playing this game. However, since I bought this 22" WSLCD, I haven't played much due to the fact that everything is streched and you can't line up a shot.

Losing the cap could create a whole new player base. Players from other zones might come to TW.

At the very least do it for like 2 weeks or a week. Then get feed back. Change is good.
            OBama/Biden 08

Comment

if anything allow the widescreen equivalent of fucking 1280x1024 plz..

really it doesnt need a vote, its less pixels and w/e seriouslt why isnt it allowed? its not much work to do it and will actulayy give them fair chance cuz i know playign iwndoweed drops FPS by at least half so im sure it would be nice if widescreen monitors could play fullscreen....

and yea im drunk so fuck you, f.
              Last edited by Kim; 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

and i am not a widescreen user, btw. nor do i want to be, just saying, its an obvious decision...why hasnt it been done......
                Last edited by Kim; 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

It's fun how people just post without reading the previous posts.

Widescreen wouldn't be fair due to the fact that most fights in jav and wb happen from side to side giving 1400whatever res the advantage over 1280, again as I pointed out in my previous post although you'd think since the res's end up being the same overall pixels or close the advantage in seeing from side to side is greater.

Comment

i guess u cant do math, i dont know, they will only have a slight advantage left to right, barely shit.........

OVERALL PIXELS ARE LESS , like YOU said bitch i guess ppl cant read previous posts

Comment

If you read my post you'll see that I specifically said that you get overall less pixels using the widescreen res over 1280x1240 but even with that said having widescreen creates and advantage for those in competitive jav and warbird games if you're one of us who utilize a side to side strategy for ease of doding due to how the momentum works in this game.

Just because we differ in opinions doesn't mean you need to verbally attack me, not that I care much it just doesn't get anything resolved if we both aren't willing to analyze opposing opinions instead of calling each other bitch like you so elegantly put it.

Yes using widescreen on the current res sucks but the advantage it would provide in a competitive situation like I've pointed out now for the 50th time is too much. If you've experienced the game prior to res restriction you'd understand and hopefully agree that the game is much healthier now and more competitive.
                      Last edited by Jack; 03-22-2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I've said this a million times already. Leave TWD and TWL alone. Just raise the resolution limit on the other arenas. (pub + events) I survived with 1024x768 for ages, untill i got my new computer, i dont think allowing 1440x900 in pub will destroy it. It might even help retain some more players
                        Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                        Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post
                          I've said this a million times already. Leave TWD and TWL alone. Just raise the resolution limit on the other arenas. (pub + events) I survived with 1024x768 for ages, untill i got my new computer, i dont think allowing 1440x900 in pub will destroy it. It might even help retain some more players
                          Yeah I think that would be the best compromise like you stated in the other post. Seems to appease those who are seeing how it would effect league play and also those who are unhappy with pub and leaving to other zones so they can enjoy the money they spent on their monitor.

I'm sure you are but are any active high members of staff reading these discussions and if so any thoughts or things you've decided upon? Unless it's topsy krett.

Comment

Originally posted by Mage View Post
                            Dude, are you playing this game on an Apple IIe? a 19" CRT is nearly worthless nowadays, they're practically giving them away. You can probably find one for 10 bucks on craigslist...even 19" LCDs are going for less than $100 at most stores nowadays. Get with the times. Or if you're too poor, get a damn job! You clearly have too much time on your hands.
                            seriously you don't even get the point

you say crts are worthless, so why would i go out and buy one? a- i've tried old ones, most are too dark to see now, they're so old, b-it won't fit on my desk, c- i have a perfectly fine 15" lcd monitor

no, no, no, no, most 19" lcds ARE NOT LESS THAN $100 IN A STORE. seriously, go out of your house, go to any electronics dept, they're 100-300 dollars, easily.

There's no need to "get with the times" in a 10 yr old game, it's obviously not designed to work with widescreens

i have a job, not enough free time, and 100 dollars would be much better spent on bills (or weed for that matter) than a monitor i'd just use to play continuum (how's that for free time on your hands).

go ahead and let it change in pubs, who would care
                            but don't change it for twd or elim

i seriously can't fathom spending a lot of money to play a free game, so stop suggesting that ffs
                            .fffffffff_____
                            .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                            .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                            .fffffff\______/
                            .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                            .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                            .fffff\________/
                            .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                            .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                            .fff\__________/

Comment

how hard would it be to make it so that ppl with widescreen could play with the correct aspect with black on the edges, like a widescreen movie. I remember having a gameboy advance that played the old gameboy games, only they were in a different ratio so it looked stretched like ppl are complaining about. Only you could push a button and it went back to the old style aspect with black bars on the sides so it wasn't distracting having empty space.
                              .fffffffff_____
                              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                              .fffffff\______/
                              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                              .fffff\________/
                              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                              .fff\__________/

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post

LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!! 100% RiGht
                                OBama/Biden 08

Comment

Working...
                                X