Change TWD to best of 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change TWD to best of 1

Currently TWDD and TWJD are best 2 of 5. Basing is best of 1. Someone mentioned this to me the other day and it got me thinking. Is there some reason we can't just have it best of 1? Why do we need rounds?

TWDT is only one round (at least until playoffs) and that feels fine.
    Change it to one round.
    41.94%
    Leave it the way it was.
    45.16%
    I don't care.
    12.90%
    Last edited by RageRitual; 02-08-2021, 06:12 PM.
    rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
    rEnZi> its crazy
    rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

one round to win

Comment

Waaaa...

If am to be honest, basing should be 7 minutes in league matches or essentially half the time it is for a normal round in twbd. Base is the only division in leagues that gets played normally then with added rounds in the playoffs to really intensify things.

Other leagues, twdd/twjd get cut down to 1 round for leagues. It's sad because having an additional round makes a world of difference if you are the losing team. You'll often see teams swing back after losing and sometimes clinching wins. Removing that and reducing it down to a single round for those leagues stripped a big portion of the game and instead injects it back into place in playoffs whereas basing it never changes, just increases in playoffs.

Id love to see the best of 3 for all games throughout the season. Same for playoffs. Finals I'd do the best of 3 games (not rounds) and have the teams use different lineups and strategies to win.

So yeah, in my opinion I'd say simply leave it alone or bump everything up for twdd/twjd to best of 3 throughout the season or another option-reduce base to 7-8 minutes.

Comment

Keep it BO3. The only reason basing is one round is because games take 20+ minutes. The average warbird round is probably like 9 minutes and javs is probably closer to 11 or 12 (guesses). There is zero reason to change the way TWD has been since its inception.
        Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
        Message has been sent to online moderators
        2:BLeeN> veh yes
        (Overstrand)>no
        2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
        2:BLeeN> ok then no
        :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
        (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Yea DD and JD matches are only like 10 minutes each round, but when you add the fact that nobody knows how to use the !ready command it can take an hour to do one match that goes to round 3. Even League of Legends matches don't last this long.

I understand people taking awhile to set up a base match with different ships and borrowing, and half the people in the arena afk there. But not DD and JD. We really do need to do something about the AFK's in TWD arenas.
          rEnZi> its crazy
          rEnZi> thats real power

Comment

Keep it at best of 3 imo. Sometimes people aren't even warmed up the first round and like Grasps said, sometimes those epic comeback games make for some great moments in the game.

I think also because it just takes so long to get a game and line 3 people up (or borrows) to play it should be BO3

Comment

A better poll would be to;

1. Reduce borrows by small amount. This decreases the time it takes to arrange matches and keeps games slightly more team oriented.
              2. Remove !Addtime (2 minutes) before rounds. This will force players doing lines to speed things up. Could lead to forfeits as some players tend to smoke or use the restroom before matches.
              3. Make each round of wb/jav 10 minutes. So if a match ends 2-0, it should only of took 22-24 mins at MOST. Even if it goes to 3, the most would be just over 30 mins. Think it's pretty close to this already tbh, can't remember the exact time.
              4. Suggestion 2 & 3.
              5. Reduce basing games time to half.

Edit: Basing allows you to make adjustments better as you have time to get those changes. Warbird/Jav, you aren't afforded that luxury. If you are sitting around, typing, trying to wake someone up or sub an afk ,you can have your round ruined in a very short time. That's why having a 2nd round helps a LOT. Many times, squads are able to get the proper subs/changes made that round. Its why you see so many games shift momentum 2nd rounds. Removing that and having it be only 1 round is terrible. I hate that we do it in leagues tbh, takes a huge factor out of those divisions. It would be like removing the flag in base and only giving it back for playoffs. It's weird and shitty.
              Last edited by Grasps; 02-09-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

While most players probably don't mind playing 2-3 full games there's something to be said for games not even starting because players don't have the time to potentially go the distance. Saying that you need a bo3 to warm up and sort out lineups isn't really a good argument imo. Yes you might run into this issue the first game or games, but so does your opponent. Subsequent games would go smoother, theres more at stake, players don't need to commit to play multiple rounds, and game rotation would be faster. And if you really want the bo3 or even bo5, keep challenging. I see a lot of potential for bo1 dd/jd games and it should be considered as an option when challenging at the very least.

Comment

Why not just add the option for a quick 1-round DD/JD? Could just keep them BO3 as normal but add a function to challenge for a sprint match of sorts where it's just one round.

I know most people aren't in my situation, but since I have to log off right around when TWD starving revving up, I don't get to play many, if any, matches anymore. I might be able to slide in for some here or there if the short matches were available.

Just a thought. Seems like it could satisfy everyone.

7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                  Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                  TWLJ Champion Season 11
                  TWLB All-Star Season 10
                  Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

simples
                    !challenge all bo1
                    !challenge all bo3

Comment

Biet makes a good point and I will soften my stance a bit. I'm on board with having the option to do one round for a quick match. I think it should be BO3 by default, though.

Edit: It brings up a question, though: Should 1-round matches have the same weight on ranking as a 3-round match? (In terms of points gained or lost)
                      Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                      Message has been sent to online moderators
                      2:BLeeN> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>no
                      2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                      2:BLeeN> ok then no
                      :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                      (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Originally posted by Vehicle View Post
                        Biet makes a good point and I will soften my stance a bit. I'm on board with having the option to do one round for a quick match. I think it should be BO3 by default, though.

Edit: It brings up a question, though: Should 1-round matches have the same weight on ranking as a 3-round match? (In terms of points gained or lost)
                        I would imagine it would be easy enough to pro-rate a 1 round match to 33.333333333333% of what a normal BO3 round match would.
                        7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                        Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                        TWLJ Champion Season 11
                        TWLB All-Star Season 10
                        Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Surprisingly not all that simple, as TWD scoring is a weird combination of MatchBots entering info into the DB + cron jobs running ancient PHP (for some unknown reason ... likely because the person writing the score calculation code knew PHP but not Java).

If people were OK with the BO1 matches still counting for the same amount of points, considering both sides are still willingly entering into the arrangement, it wouldn't be a difficult change. Using 1/3 of the rating change wouldn't be intensely difficult but more just annoying.
                          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Just make ?go wbduel2 BO1 and leave TWD alone altogether I'd say. Like Vehicle said, BO1 shouldn't equal same points as a normal game so what do we do? Making them the same would be beyond dumb and 1/3's aren't possible it sounds. No thanks. If I am going to have Qan, Biet and those guys work on shit, I certainly want it to be making the game more fun and enriching the experience. Anyways, already said how I felt about BO1's above and how I think removing them is awful in TWD and has always been awful in leagues. Think stuff like this should be tested in ?go wbduel rather than TWD since atm TWD is working good and people are having fun.

Comment

It is normally best 2 out of 5, so best 1 would mean you need half the wins, so half the points, I are good at math yay!

+1 to the idea rab put forward of allowing an option to challenge for one round. As much as I would prefer 1 round myself, I still think best 2 out of 5 should still be the default.

Allowing 1 round matches will mean more matches. So less time for teams to wait in spec waiting for someone to play against during early parts of the day.
                              rEnZi> its crazy
                              rEnZi> thats real power

Comment

Working...
                              X