• Show
Clear All

robert downey jr. in tropic thunder
    LA

Comment

Originally posted by NoLimitSoldier View Post
      I would say my favorite personal top 5 actors are:

Johhny Depp- Very well with odd parts, he can act like no other
      Ben Stiller- Plays the loser roles quite well. (meet the fuckers, Heartbreak kid)
      Steve Carrell- Plays some great roles where he usually puts himself in an akward position. (40 year old virgin, the office)
      Mike Myers- A good writer, and can act all his own parts
      Adam Sandler- Great with comedic dramas (click) But often just a funny guy to watch

Granted the last 4 are comedians.

rofl plz Tom Hanks isnt even as talented as JD

Hes played a retard, a survivor of a plane crash and a soldeir big fucking deal. Maybe you cant understand the roles JD has been in. How each role he masters the individual characteristics.

Tom Hanks is too plain.
      Johnny Depp Is a Dynamic Actor

But then again maybe you like poor acting?
      let me just be the first to tell you that with these two statements that you have stripped urself of any and all respect that anyone had for your opinion.

Now Johnny Depp is damn good, and i probably respect him more than any other actor because he takes risks and actually puts himself out there and does some weird ass risky roles and usually delivers. He can act, but he isn't the best by any means. I have also read all of this thread and you seem to be stuck in modern day movies, so maybe you should take a trip back to before you were born and watch some movies.

Now to really determine who is the best you have to define what is the actual goal of acting or an actor (which varies from person to person) and then see who best accomplishes such. For me I would say an actor is successful when I am first and foremost entertained and absorbed in the move, if I feel like their acting is sincere and real, and if the actor can make me feel the same emotions that their character is feeling.

I would say Johnny Depp is probably one of the most entertaining actors I've seen, but for me he lacks on making me feel what his character is feeling, he just seems a bit too insane or impersonal at times for me. Maybe its just his roles being over the top, but he's just not the best for me.

Tom Hanks is amazing. And I was talking about Johnny Depp and risks, this guy was the only person on a screen for almost two hours. Its not like the plot was very interesting either (guy crashes on island and wants to go home). You try making that shit entertaining or not boring as hell, its hard. While I think Tom Hanks is probably the best actor I've seen at relaying emotions and being legitimate about his acting, I think his choices of movies (aside from castaway) have been for the majority safe over his career. He is not the MOST entertaining actor and hes definitely not eccentric like Johnny Depp, but his skill is up there with the best. But in the end I think I would agree that Johnny Depp has more talent, but I think he kind of pisses it away, he gets type casted into only eccentric roles and you really never come across much acting. I think Depp is the best entertainer out there today, but not actor.

Overall I really don't see anyone holding a candle up to De Niro and Morgan Freeman in the realm of pure acting. I think that Robin Williams is the best comedy/acting hybrid, and I will vote steven chow as the best at comedy simply because he writes the movies he acts in and they are all fucking hillarious.
      TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
      TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
      Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
      - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
      Originally posted by kthx
      Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

Come on guys... I was hoping someone else would mention this guy.

Comment

I really hate it when people post an obscure picture and say "this guy" or "this girl" like everyone on the planet should be able to recognize them at a glance
          My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

hey phren!!!

oh btw, since every actor has been listed in this thread, where is Frank T.J. Mackey and Scotty J.?
            Originally posted by Tyson
            There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
            Originally posted by HeavenSent
            Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
            Originally posted by Izor
            Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Necromotic View Post
              more like jack black in tropic thunder, he used a black marker on the nips.

Anyone see Johnny Depp win best comedic actor at the Much Music Awards? Superbad and Knocked Up deserved that shit, don't get me wrong Pirates was amazing but he didn't deserve that award. He definitely deserved best villain for Sweeny Todd, but in no way shape or form did Jonnah Hill not deserve that award. I also thought Zac Efron from Hairspray didn't really deserve the break through actor award but then again neither did half the people listed. I can guess on a whole I was just pissed that I was playing a drinking game where we'd wager shots/drinks on the winner and I got my ass handed to me.

note to self: always pick people who don't deserve the award
              Last edited by Cops; 06-03-2008, 08:42 AM.
              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Ow I forgot Kevin Bacon, his performance in The Woodsman was magnificent and it was a major career risk
                "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

Originally posted by phata$$ View Post
                  Come on guys... I was hoping someone else would mention this guy.

This guy does get nominated for Best Actor academy awards every time he makes a movie. We tend to forget about him because he is very, very selective about his roles.

So nobody else likes Slim Pickens? Come on people. He was the best part of the best movie ever made.
                  While I'm sippin herbal teas verbal bees plant fertile seeds
                  Bitches leave with broke backs, swollen palms and purple knees

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue View Post
                    I really hate it when people post an obscure picture and say "this guy" or "this girl" like everyone on the planet should be able to recognize them at a glance
                    daniel day lewis
                    Originally posted by turmio
                    jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
                    Originally posted by grand
                    I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

• Originally posted by NoLimitSoldier View Post
                      I would say my favorite personal top 5 actors are:

Johhny Depp- Very well with odd parts, he can act like no other
                      Ben Stiller- Plays the loser roles quite well. (meet the fuckers, Heartbreak kid)
                      Steve Carrell- Plays some great roles where he usually puts himself in an akward position. (40 year old virgin, the office)
                      Mike Myers- A good writer, and can act all his own parts
                      Adam Sandler- Great with comedic dramas (click) But often just a funny guy to watch

Granted the last 4 are comedians.
                      wow how are you arguing who the best actors are with a list like that?
                      steve carell is one of the most overrated actors ever. Johnny Depp makes the same kind of movies with the exception of a few. I mean how many tim burton movies has he been involved with? christ. mike myers is a good pick. I like him and eddie murphy for being able to play multiple characters in a single movie.

the people who mentioned tom hanks and morgan freeman have the right idea. I also agree with gregory peck and mel gibson. i also think tom cruise should be considered for the list. Personal favorites of mine include denzel washington, russel crowe, nicholas cage, edward norton, and i am quickly gaining respect for christian bale
                      Last edited by ShadowHand; 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM.
                      Currently listening to:
                      Valient Thorr - Immortalizer
                      Dead to Me - Little Brother
                      Tim Barry - Manchester
                      Lemuria - Get Better
                      Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony

Comment

• Originally posted by Cops View Post
                        I personally wouldn't take any movie recommendations from someone who enjoys Ben Stiller's work, besides Zoolander and Something About Mary that guy has done nothing but produce shit work and shown he's not a real actor.

Edit: ®Maddox.
                        Last edited by Noah; 06-03-2008, 06:07 PM.
                        Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

• Originally posted by Necromotic View Post
                          robert downey jr. in "in dreams"
                          Currently listening to:
                          Valient Thorr - Immortalizer
                          Dead to Me - Little Brother
                          Tim Barry - Manchester
                          Lemuria - Get Better
                          Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony

Comment

• What I learned from this thread!

Very few on these forums have seen foreign/pre-1970s movies.

hollywud haz teh best actors! cuz there hot butz
                            Originally posted by Tone
                            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeenyuss View Post
                              daniel day lewis
                              That guy looks so incredibly different once you take that moustache away.. And his face seems to have so much more emotion and stories on it when he has that moustache.

I mean:

and:

Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Noah View Post

Edit: ®Maddox.
                                dodgeball was a great movie and so the was the royal tenanbaums but not because of that piece of crap. maddox was dead on about ben stiller.
                                it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Working...
                                X