No announcement yet.

Trench Wars server fund is in dire straits; donations requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been out of town for a few days and have slipped a bit on updates.

Since last time, we've had one more $5 recurring commitment, and a whopping $500 one-time donation! Thank you so much.

We're now at $144.42/mo, or 80% of the way to being completely sustained by regular donors. 6 more donors at just $5 a month ($4.37 after fees) will have us fully funded in perpetuity.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Originally posted by Duster8 View Post
      Just sent $50 and I will double that if we go back to old map and ship settings for a month.
      newest levi and weasel are worse than OG
      1:Sir Spider> you gotta kinda drag it out of him a little bit
      1:Sir Spider> but once you do he just explodes
      1:Sir Spider> at least on me
      1:Sir Spider> ...no homo

Comment

Originally posted by daresound View Post

newest levi and weasel are worse than OG
        Yes I just mean one previous generation where lev was slow with blue bombs, weasel could cloak and stealth. Also as for the map, you could bomb the FR entrance from the side ears with the right shot.

Can't log in again tonight. Hopefully, that can be fixed soon. Weird how it only happens in the evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by Duster8 View Post

Can't log in again tonight. Hopefully, that can be fixed soon. Weird how it only happens in the evenings.
          and today this is the earliest one ive seen
          AKA Shaun
          ----------------------

Comment

the game is unreachable AGAIN.... can we do something about this? pub is dying

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_pizza View Post
              the game is unreachable AGAIN.... can we do something about this? pub is dying
              No point shouting about it, its a free game and the work to keep it online is done out of people's free time.

If you want to help restore the game then consider contributing, otherwise, pipe down.

Comment

whats up with the tw server? i got things setup to donate monthly and half the time i've tried to log in i've been unable to. don't really want to keep contributing if the game is gonna be unplayable unfortunately
                Trench Wars' favorite cheater

Comment

How is the server worse after receiving donations

Explain like I'm 5:

Comment

After a recent update, we've had persistent issues with the server's interaction with the biller, resulting in the "endless stars" bug where players are unable to connect. After a lot of diagnosing, it's likely out of our hands and will need to be corrected on PriitK's end. He's been contacted, but he's notoriously difficult to reach and rarely responds to any message, making it exceedingly difficult to determine if he's read a message or performed an action. I'll contact him again soon with some new information and see if that nudges things forward.

If you're unable to login, chances are you'll be able to after 1-3 hours. There's a temporary fix for this issue (works every time but just needs manual resetting) while we wait to resolve it permanently.

It's pretty unfortunate that it hit exactly during the time we're doing a donation drive, but it's just coincidental.

Speaking of donations, a big thanks to the person who put in a one-time donation of $100! (9/21)

"You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
                    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

might be time to ask priitk to let someone else be responsible for whatever it is we are always waiting for him to do...

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
                        After a recent update, we've had persistent issues with the server's interaction with the biller, resulting in the "endless stars" bug where players are unable to connect. After a lot of diagnosing, it's likely out of our hands and will need to be corrected on PriitK's end. He's been contacted, but he's notoriously difficult to reach and rarely responds to any message, making it exceedingly difficult to determine if he's read a message or performed an action. I'll contact him again soon with some new information and see if that nudges things forward.
                        Ignoring for the moment any financial challenges of doing so, is there any kind of roadmap for reducing/eliminating reliance on PrittK? Is it impossible (e.g. PrittK has to willingly give it up and doesn't want to), or is it painful (e.g. we can do it without PriitK, but we'd have to reset all user accounts), or is it just a lack of manpower?

Asking for donations just to keep the lights on is fine, but I'm not inclined to donate because I don't think the game in its current state is worth saving for a multitude of reasons, technical and otherwise. It would be nice to see some detailed info on all of the game's technical challenges, as well as some specific, prioritized action items to improve the game, even if it's unsexy back-end/server-side stuff that makes running the game more sustainable if nothing else. Even if no progress is ever made due to cost or whatever, I'd donate to something that feels like it has a future. Otherwise, you're just asking people to dump money into a Rube Goldberg machine held together with duct tape and bubble gum, and pray that a future server update doesn't break the game or that PriitK doesn't get hit by a bus.

Also, no mention of this in game (i.e. news.txt) where more people would see it?

Comment

Originally posted by WherzWaldo View Post
                          PriitK doesn't get hit by a bus.
                          I'm no expert but don't think Estonian bus routes run through yachts

Comment

Originally posted by cubone View Post

I'm no expert but don't think Estonian bus routes run through yachts
                            Drones do, if he doesn't get his act together and fix what he needs to.

This is a joke, I don't own military grade drones nor would I use them @ the FBI

Comment

Working...
                            X