Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1440x900 Plz (Only post if you for the cap increase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul Survivor View Post
    Jack,

First all let me say something you carry yourself well in both the forums and in the game. Also you're very good. With that said, the points you have made have been well thought out. However, I don't think raising the cap will make that much of difference. Some may exploit it yes, but it won't help them out as much as you think. For the widescreen users that play this game, it will be an opportunity to play this game fairly. Both aiming and dodging well rely on knowing how to "angle" yourself into the right position. With the cap that we have now that's impossible for me at least.(Lining up a good shot)

I also own a 21" KDS Crt, although it's at my dads house because there is no room for it here. I owned when playing with that monitor. I could use that if I wanted but it's more convenient for me to use this monitor.

What made trench wars the most competitive and most popular zone, was the one hit kill system. The cap kept everyone on a fair playing field. Now it doesn’t, it makes it gives those who don't have a CRT an advantage. That's not what the "Cap" was intended to do. I know I'm babbling. I'm tired. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.
    Yes I understand where you are coming from my friend and I appreciate the kind words.

I'm mainly just worried about those who don't have a widescreen since they are going to be put at a disadvantage against those who do in competitive situations. Even if it's only a small amount it all adds up.

Keep in mind I have both a CRT and WS so I can use whatever, just trying to do whats best for the community.

I do admit, I am stubborn at times and this is one of my downfalls and this may be a situation where I'm just not seeing the light. Whenever I think of this happening though it makes me think of the past when I'd be on 2100 res going up against people utilizing smaller res and they wouldn't stand a chance even if they were a better player.

I understand it's not the same since we aren't comparing 2100 res to 1028, it's just the only comparison I have at the moment. I know you can WB so I'm sure you can see how even though WS is overall less pixels on 1440 compared to 1280 if properly utilized it can be an advantage.

I'm rambling now as well, please know that as I complete this post I understand where you are coming from and respect the opposing view.

Comment

LOL i doubt ppl want this res just so they can see farther left and right...its really not an advantage and if it is its VERY small..

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
        And what are you going to do about people with laptops? What about people who can't afford to upgrade their monitor? Not everyone is made of money or puts their money toward upgrading their computer. Basically forget us because we don't matter?

Resolution is not what prevents people from playing this game. Some people are averted from it simply because it's a 2-d game in a 3-d generation (see WoW, Halo, Call of Duty, etc).
        wow ppl, its not like they are RAISING THE CAP all they are fucking doing is allowing THE WIDESCREEN EQUIVALENT OF THE CURRENT CAP

seriously get over it guys

and the only advantage i see or could see ppl exploiting is shooting left to right what if u come down on top of them they are at a big DISADVANTAGE whereas with a 4:3 monitor its even on all 4 sides.. widescreen its longer left to right...so the ppl who exploit it are only gonna attack from left to right?

i think if anything its gonna put players at a disadvantage from top or bottom shots, which im all for since i dont have a widescreen

i mean seriously did anyone actually think about the top or bottom shots...its gonna hurt the WS users..
        Last edited by Money; 05-05-2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

ya this test period will be good, and i doubt many will complain after it

for those who still think its unfair seeing slightly more left-right, as i said earlier u can use windowed mode for that resolution, most monitors go up to 1600x1200 anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
            wow ppl, its not like they are RAISING THE CAP all they are fucking doing is allowing THE WIDESCREEN EQUIVALENT OF THE CURRENT CAP

seriously get over it guys

and the only advantage i see or could see ppl exploiting is shooting left to right what if u come down on top of them they are at a big DISADVANTAGE whereas with a 4:3 monitor its even on all 4 sides.. widescreen its longer left to right...so the ppl who exploit it are only gonna attack from left to right?

i think if anything its gonna put players at a disadvantage from top or bottom shots, which im all for since i dont have a widescreen

i mean seriously did anyone actually think about the top or bottom shots...its gonna hurt the WS users..
            Yes of course we have my friend, we've had discussions about it in previous threads.

Although it's less overall the benefit from side to side is the greater attribute if you know how to utilize it. Most good players fight side to side due to many aspects of how the game is coded. Watch some TWL matches and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The devils advocate can be played to any point that is made, no use continuing the conversation really. Either you understand what I'm saying and the strategy many of us use or you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Burzum View Post
              Like I said.. search through your monitor's menus, and you will ultimately find out. Took me about a week to realize there's more than one page of menus (keep cycling through the settings!).
              Alternatively: RTFM, email vendor, post on relevant forums (depending on what brand your WS is).

Notice the bars:
              All of Jack's talk about strategy and such makes sense, but I feel it matters a lot less when in a non-competitive context. Most people actually just wanna play for fun, ya know? But I agree, for ranked things like TWL/TWD/elim, we should keep the cap (or raise it a little, just to stay with the times).

It just strikes me as old fashioned to maintain a res limit on non-competitive arenas - other zones survive without one! I do see that it is more advantageous to have a higher res in TW than any other zone, but people will get over it. If the res cap was removed without anyone saying so, my guess is that people would hardly notice. (Just my opinion though!)

Also, it's not as if the moment the resolution limit rises/vanishes, every pilot and his pet dog is going to spend sleepless nights working out ways to that extra amount of pixels. Most of us just want to use our monitor the way it's meant to be used, the way every other game (and even zone!) lets you use it.

Comment

I've looked on widescreen gaming forums, contacted an HP, and googled numberous topics. When I talked to the HP guy, he said that certain resolutions would give me a 4:3 aspect ratio. Also I've gone though the settings on my monitor and haven't found out to put "4:3 in wide". Does anyone else have an HP widescreen monitor. I use an HP 2207.
                OBama/Biden 08

Comment

One of those settings in your OSD menu should do the trick (unless, for whatever reason, your monitor does not support that, which is nearly impossible), probably the "Fill to Aspect Ratio" one.

In a further attempt to cut out the work for you, here's the 2207 manual:
                  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00834092.pdf

And when everyone is playing on the same max resolution and you *know* that, that's when you can play for fun. How many of you would frantically support raising the twd ping limit to 500 ms? Or lowering it to 100? Even though that's slightly apples and oranges, I don't see any problem at all with the current resolution cap, since practically all WS monitors are capable of scaling the image to 4:3, and there's no need at all to fill those few inches at the left and right just because we can.
                  2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
                  2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
                  2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
                  2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
                  2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
                  1:spider> Wooooohoo!
                  1:spider> .*passes the hat*
                  1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Thx.. Burzum. I figured it out last night. lol. I appericate you going though all that trouble.

Raising the cap to 1440x900 isn't going to help much either. I'm now on the fence. It dosen't make that much of a difference. It's only in pubs not elim or twdd.
                    Last edited by Soul Survivor; 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM.
                    OBama/Biden 08

Comment

Just noticed this thread. Guess we are in a 3 week trial. Can't wait to test it. Ever since my old monitor died half a year ago and I received a 20inch WS for free (warranty), I have had trouble playing this game.

To all the people who are against the resolutionchange:

- Why don't we lower the resolution to 800 x 600 so that every player who owns an older computer / laptop have no disadvantage?

- Why don't we limit the fps to 60 so that everyone has the same 'smoothness' in the game?

- Why don't we 'add lag' to all 'non-laggy' players so that everyone has the same lag?

- Why don't we do do a 'maximum usage' per week, so that people who have no life can not practise more than people who have a life?

Don't act like it will be that much of a difference and WS'owners will take over the SS-world, there are so many factors involved when it comes to skill and 'advantage'.
                      Winner TWL-B Season 10 dicE / TWL-D Runners up
                      Winner TWL-D Season 8 -Final-
                      Winner TWT Season (?) Melee
                      Winner TWDL Season 2 Scrotal's Horde!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lame View Post
                        Just noticed this thread. Guess we are in a 3 week trial. Can't wait to test it. Ever since my old monitor died half a year ago and I received a 20inch WS for free (warranty), I have had trouble playing this game.

To all the people who are against the resolutionchange:

- Why don't we lower the resolution to 800 x 600 so that every player who owns an older computer / laptop have no disadvantage?

- Why don't we limit the fps to 60 so that everyone has the same 'smoothness' in the game?

- Why don't we 'add lag' to all 'non-laggy' players so that everyone has the same lag?

- Why don't we do do a 'maximum usage' per week, so that people who have no life can not practise more than people who have a life?

Don't act like it will be that much of a difference and WS'owners will take over the SS-world, there are so many factors involved when it comes to skill and 'advantage'.
                        The bottom line is that all players expect and deserve a level playing field.

Comment

Things like "big bullets" give a far greater "unfair" advantage than screen resolution.

Eventually all computers will be widescreen, I think it will harm TW by not moving with the times. The same thing happened with televisions. Its almost impossibe to buy a new computer that doesn't come with widescreen (especially laptops). Not all computers have an option to preserve aspect ratio, especially the cheaper ones that alot of people tend to buy.

I play using 1280x1024 on a 3 year old laptop (IBM Thinkbad R51). Its native resolution is 1400x1055. That was 3 years ago.

This is a typical example of a bargin basement PC.
                          http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.901-1786.aspx

Its around the cheapest you can buy in mycountry. The standard moniter is 19" with a resolution of 1440x900.

This is the type of computer the masses are buying. Why are we putting people off this game by stopping people playing in widescreen.
                          Last edited by Doc Flabby; 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM.
                          Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                          Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

I think we should remove the cap and let everyone use whatever resolution they like, or not change anything at all.
                            TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Weaver View Post
                              The bottom line is that all players expect and deserve a level playing field.
                              I think what he meant was... realise that there is no such thing as a level playing field, given the nature of the game. 1280x1024 is a purely arbitrary resolution pulled out of someone's anus, whether this arena was alledgedly "designed" for that res or not.

I've also not seen a decent argument against the following:
                              It makes no sense for a cap based on the state of technology in the 90s, to remain the same in 2008.
                              Last edited by Nockm; 05-06-2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

im glad ws users can now play full screen without it being distorted to shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X