Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1440x900 Plz (Only post if you for the cap increase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, a widescreen resolution would be so anoying in dds. All the widescreeners will use it to there advantage. I allready hate it when a wb try's to fly in my radar.
    My problem is that is have to play windowed to keep the right aspect ratio. But when i play windowed the fps drop. Does anyone know any tricks to get better FPS other then the ones on the tech forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_ View Post
      No, a widescreen resolution would be so anoying in dds. All the widescreeners will use it to there advantage. I allready hate it when a wb try's to fly in my radar.
      My problem is that is have to play windowed to keep the right aspect ratio. But when i play windowed the fps drop. Does anyone know any tricks to get better FPS other then the ones on the tech forum?
      You're not even making sense or a single argument as of how there is an advantage.
      Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
        You're not even making sense or a single argument as of how there is an advantage.
        Many of the best warbirds fight side to side simply because of how the game works, it's easier to dodge in this manner etc. Of course some don't fit the mold and you can play the devils advocate to my example but please surprise me by not for I already expect it.

Although it is overall less pixels the widescreen is still at an advantage because of the side to side fighting. Most of the time when you die in a DD it's from top to bottom or at an angle, there is a reason for this and why many of us stay in side to side battles causing the most skilled to win.

I have a widescreen as well and I'm going to use it if they allow it in leagues, it's optimal for dodging bullets. If people think a squares better then please, go for it.

I'm advocating for the res to stay how it is because I've experienced the game from 1998 on in a competitive atmosphere. I know first hand how res changes the game because it changed me. If you want to cause a gap again because of res, this is going to cause it. Even if small, a good player is going to take that small advantage and use it.

Again, we understand that widescreen is overall less pixels. But it's still advantageous to use it over 1280x1024 due to strategies that can be utilized.

I apologize to those who have read my posts in other threads regarding this same issue for I have to continue repeating my argument.

Please know I love you all and understand your reasonings for wanting the resolution changed. I should as well be advocating for the change since I have a wide screen. I am looking beyond my own needs and realize it would not be healthy for the community. A large number of people still do not have wide screen and it would create a gap due to res much like we had before, people are going to abuse the strategy of fighting side to side in competitive games. Including myself if provided the opportunity.

edit: you can change your settings to run the game unstretched on a widescreen, I've been doing it for a long time. Burzum posted instructions earlier in the thread.
        Last edited by Jack; 05-09-2008, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Ok. In pubs, jds or bds it wont make a big difference. But in dds it will. Most of the duels in dds are played side by side horizental cuz the 1280 x 1024 resolution gives you a wider screen, right? This is where the 1440 x 900 users will have their advantage with an even wider screen.

Comment

You're putting too much into it Jack.

Players play after what is the most efficiently in every situation. I've watched LD finals, and played in LD playoffs myself. It doesn't happen that often, because of the fastpaced gameplay. Since the gameplay is exactly the same, it won't affect it too much. The situation still change so often that you won't see it too often. The Y axis of the game is used as much as the X axis, in one way or another. It might give WS players some advantages in certain situations, and exactly equal disadvantages in other situations. There are several other factors like this in the game already, doing exactly this. Not to mention how it works cross-legaues. It's viable everywhere, but if you theorycraft very long and hard you can find advantages and disadvantages everywhere.

The argument gets more merit when it's coming from you, but don't forget that LAME is also an oldtimer. He played before and after the cap, and he has a different view than you. That makes it impossible to me to just rely on of you to be right, and neglect my several years of experience, even if I didn't experience the cap change in a competitive setting.

It doesn't hurt to try it out for the entire off-season atleast, as it will be tested by experienced players. The game needs something to appeal to even more players to not die off. If we don't do this we're putting a quickly growing group of players play with stretched graphics, windowed mode, or forcing them to both know how to and have the ability to change the monitor settings.

I will continue to advocate for this, as I see it as a step in the right direction.

For the record, I do not think we should increase the viewing areal of the screen. This is about giving the equivalent to widescreen users, not giving anyone more.
            Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

i just bought a new 22" widescreen. and it is unable to go 1440x900, only 1600x900 which looks fine AND 1280x1024 without any flaws, time to raise it! plz new monitors can't handle low resos such as 1440x900 blablabla

stfu
              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

If you are unable to go 1440x900 on that moniter thats your graphics card. Whats native resolution of that moniter because you can't be using it with either of those resolutions.

I think we should remove/raise the cap in arenas it wont have any notifiable competitive difference. TWDD, TWLD, elim and ?go duel are probably the only ones that it would make a difference it.... A debate around these arenas I think is justified, but the rest, what is there to argue about???
                Last edited by Doc Flabby; 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM.
                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

1440 x 900 wasn't a default resolution offered on my setup. I have a widescreen 22" LCD and a Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT so I could go beyond that res and created a custom resolution in the Nvidia settings. You can break things by doing it that way so make sure you know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                    1440 x 900 wasn't a default resolution offered on my setup. I have a widescreen 22" LCD and a Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT so I could go beyond that res and created a custom resolution in the Nvidia settings. You can break things by doing it that way so make sure you know what you're doing.
                    Weird. My cheap lil Acer 22' can do anything I ask it...of course my computer is friggin awesome and <3's me...I actually bought an 8800GTX..sigh...
                    _-Tri/p_

Comment

You're putting too much into it Jack.

Players play after what is the most efficiently in every situation. I've watched LD finals, and played in LD playoffs myself. It doesn't happen that often, because of the fastpaced gameplay. Since the gameplay is exactly the same, it won't affect it too much. The situation still change so often that you won't see it too often. The Y axis of the game is used as much as the X axis, in one way or another. It might give WS players some advantages in certain situations, and exactly equal disadvantages in other situations. There are several other factors like this in the game already, doing exactly this. Not to mention how it works cross-legaues. It's viable everywhere, but if you theorycraft very long and hard you can find advantages and disadvantages everywhere.

The argument gets more merit when it's coming from you, but don't forget that LAME is also an oldtimer. He played before and after the cap, and he has a different view than you. That makes it impossible to me to just rely on of you to be right, and neglect my several years of experience, even if I didn't experience the cap change in a competitive setting.

It doesn't hurt to try it out for the entire off-season atleast, as it will be tested by experienced players. The game needs something to appeal to even more players to not die off. If we don't do this we're putting a quickly growing group of players play with stretched graphics, windowed mode, or forcing them to both know how to and have the ability to change the monitor settings.

I will continue to advocate for this, as I see it as a step in the right direction.

For the record, I do not think we should increase the viewing areal of the screen. This is about giving the equivalent to widescreen users, not giving anyone more.
                      Yes my friend I tend to put too much into many things and for this I apologize. It is one of my faults, I have admitted before I am stubborn if I believe in something.

Please know I do not speak to put much into it, I speak to give my words a feeling of fullness.

You presented your point much better than most and it caused me to think about it in a different manner and for this I thank you. You are correct that we can theorycraft to any conclusion, I have stated before that people can play the devils advocate to any comment to snuff out something I say in anticipation so I fully feel you.

I may have misunderstood your comment but I shall still apologize for coming across like just because I have played for many years means my word would be final. I hope over time you see I am not like this, many people who I even consider friends allow ego's and 'I've played this game for longer so I'm superior' outlooks to blind them from others views; this is not me. I love all, if you started today or prior to me I value all the same.

I realize now more than ever my fight to stop this change is growing ever more impossible.

If I can't stop this change, please do not go further than 1400 res. If you lift it fully it'll ruin the game again like it was before. I used 2100 res and still can, doesn't matter how good you are if your res is 1600 or less the advantage is too great to overcome.

Years ago I was good not because of skill but resolution. I am nothing now, I feel I can hold my own and this is only because I know all the tricks people try and use. I'm the old boxer who can survive for 12 rounds because of experience but loses the decision. Bad analogy and for this I apologize, I was watching some greatest moments on ESPN earlier :P.

I advocate for love of all of man, I apologize for I have strayed even from my own mantra. my soul weeps; i move on. I realize people are unhappy on their current resolutions and I should support my fellow man instead of being selfish and fighting for what I feel is right when the majority opposes me. I love you, I concede.

See you in TW,

Jack Kiefer

Comment

too many words, also

NO OFFENSE

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                          too many words, also

NO OFFENSE
                          I don't see how it's too many words, took like 1 minute to type out. It's not too much, it's full.

Comment

One thing no one's talked about, but SS is a lot more fun at higher resolutions. Duels and league games at 1600x1200 were a zillion times more fun than 1280x1024.
                            Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                            www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                            www.animeslice.com

Comment

ah snap

time to go spend 400$ to be able to play free 2d spaceship game at its best, afk

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
                                One thing no one's talked about, but SS is a lot more fun at higher resolutions. Duels and league games at 1600x1200 were a zillion times more fun than 1280x1024.
                                you know epi, maybe this would matter if you actually played once in a while in oh...i dont know... anytime within the last 2-5 years possibly? It might be more fun, but seriously back 10 years ago how expensive were those monitors? You paid a fortune to play a free spaceship game back then... which i find to be completely rediculous and moronic in itself. Monitors able to use those resolutions are still expensive, and it would be asking far too much for people to buy new equipment to be able to remove advantages for certain players and play on large resolutions.

and might i ask an unthinkable question here? Why was it more fun on those resolutions? Was it because the players you were against had a large disadvantage to you, and so you were a better player for it? Frankly, I find being on a level playing field is far more enjoyable than being on the disadvantaged side, wouldn't you agree?
                                RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Working...
                                X