Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1440x900 Plz (Only post if you for the cap increase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lame, after I explained thrice over how to set the display to 4:3 instead of WS, how can you come in here and state you are having "problems" all while keeping a straight face?

And to all the others that compare SS to any other game, in SS you actually have a big advantage over anyone using a lower resolution. It's very roughly comparable to playing any current first person shooter and having the mouse scroll the screen for 360 degrees in 5 seconds as opposed to whatever is normal in such a game.
    2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
    2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
    2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
    2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
    2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
    1:spider> Wooooohoo!
    1:spider> .*passes the hat*
    1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post
      Things like "big bullets" give a far greater "unfair" advantage than screen resolution.
      having 100% or more pixels than your opponent is a much greater advantage than "big bullets" and all other graphical enhancements combined. Plus if staff wanted they could easily promote big bullets so everyone would know about them and use them.

Originally posted by Nockm View Post
      1280x1024 is a purely arbitrary resolution pulled out of someone's anus, whether this arena was alledgedly "designed" for that res or not. It makes no sense for a cap based on the state of technology in the 90s, to remain the same in 2008.
      Probably because 1280x1024 was the most common maximum resolution people's monitors were capable of then and that hasn't changed..the state of people's maximum resolution has stayed the same, hence the cap has stayed the same. There's not enough people who can't reach 1280x1024 to justify making the cap lower and the people who are capable of higher resolutions can simply lower it and use 1280x1024. But now widescreen monitors with a maximum resolution of 1440x900 are becoming more common and despite being less total pixels they are unable to use it in trench wars so instead have to play on 1280x800 (or something similar) which puts them at a competitive disadvantage. Before widescreen monitors, the resolution limit made it so people with better and more expensive monitors didn't have an advantage, but now it's making it so people some people with more expensive monitors (ie. 19" widescreen LCDs with max resolution of 1440x900) are at a disadvantage, which doesn't seem right to me (and I only have a 4:3 capable of 1280.)

Originally posted by Jack View Post
      I know you can WB so I'm sure you can see how even though WS is overall less pixels on 1440 compared to 1280 if properly utilized it can be an advantage.
      But you're not comparing the 900 to the 1024, which I think could negate the advantage of having the 1440 as opposed to 1280. Just like a player with WS will try to take advantage of their horizontal resolution, their opponents using 1280x1024 can take advantage of them having smaller vertical resolution...that is if there was some way of knowing what resolutions your opponents were using. Regardless there's no harm in allowing 1440x900 in pub and other non-competitive arenas.
      Last edited by Static Burn; 05-06-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

agreed

Comment

all of you that want widescreen monitors are terrible at this game

no one good wants it higher res, or uneven playing field, even if they have the big monitors

get good at the game with the small res first, or maybe you know your only chance of being better is higher res?
          RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

I fail to see how changing this would help our player base...I don't care either way though, although I KNOW there are still lots of people that play on VERY subpar computers...Subspace is big with some people because their comps suck ever so much.

EDIT - Hell I know people that use LOWER res so they can rush better...
            _-Tri/p_

Comment

Originally posted by Static Burn View Post
              Probably because 1280x1024 was the most common maximum resolution people's monitors were capable of then and that hasn't changed............
              I agree. I realised this a while ago too since the increase in technology hasn't been in resolution, but in CRT -> LCD which is even more stubborn in increasing resolution.

1440x900 is definitely really good for non-competitive arenas, but I think it should be allowed in competitive areas too; I don't think people will notice the difference even though some say they would.

Comment

ppl still play this game competitively? when?

Comment

Originally posted by Burzum View Post
                  Lame, after I explained thrice over how to set the display to 4:3 instead of WS, how can you come in here and state you are having "problems" all while keeping a straight face?
                  I didn't bother to read your posts. Seriously, I'd rather play stretched than going into my menu settings for subspace. Subspace doesn't deserve that.

Originally posted by Static Burn View Post
                  But you're not comparing the 900 to the 1024, which I think could negate the advantage of having the 1440 as opposed to 1280
                  I'd say thats a difference of 36 pixels. Thats really indeed something to whine about, those who are against it.

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                  all of you that want widescreen monitors are terrible at this game
                  First, I didnt buy this monitor. Second, I would never buy a monitor for SS'purposes. I'd say, beyond the 1280 x 1024 resolution, the bigger you will make the resolution, the harder it will become: Pixel wars? In this case it's just a 36 pixel difference so things are not stretched out. But I have to admit, the way you guys play it doesn't matter what resolution you are on. Just rush in as lemmings and shoot close range.

Last thing I have to say about this is that this game is already old and getting more old each day. We have a problem in keeping players committed to this game. The more we keep things as they were as in the mid-90's, the worse it will get. Why don't we step into this new technology developments and use it to improve this game. Perhaps it can actually create some new competitivity. I don't care if you double the resolution limit. Maybe we should so that we can create some new 'disadvantages' (even though I think it will only be harder). Perhaps it's good we could have players we can 'look up to'. Everyone talks about the Siege and Elusive timeperiod, also a timeperiod where some had bigger resolutions than others (disadvantage). Yet one of the best and most fun timeperiods in ss-history.
                  There is nothing to win anymore anyways.

My last post in this thread. I'll find out what will happen in the end and make my conclusions.
                  Winner TWL-B Season 10 dicE / TWL-D Runners up
                  Winner TWL-D Season 8 -Final-
                  Winner TWT Season (?) Melee
                  Winner TWDL Season 2 Scrotal's Horde!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lame View Post
                    First, I didnt buy this monitor. Second, I would never buy a monitor for SS'purposes. I'd say, beyond the 1280 x 1024 resolution, the bigger you will make the resolution, the harder it will become: Pixel wars? In this case it's just a 36 pixel difference so things are not stretched out. But I have to admit, the way you guys play it doesn't matter what resolution you are on. Just rush in as lemmings and shoot close range.

Last thing I have to say about this is that this game is already old and getting more old each day. We have a problem in keeping players committed to this game. The more we keep things as they were as in the mid-90's, the worse it will get. Why don't we step into this new technology developments and use it to improve this game. Perhaps it can actually create some new competitivity. I don't care if you double the resolution limit. Maybe we should so that we can create some new 'disadvantages' (even though I think it will only be harder). Perhaps it's good we could have players we can 'look up to'. Everyone talks about the Siege and Elusive timeperiod, also a timeperiod where some had bigger resolutions than others (disadvantage). Yet one of the best and most fun timeperiods in ss-history.
                    There is nothing to win anymore anyways.

My last post in this thread. I'll find out what will happen in the end and make my conclusions.
                    first, i don't care what monitor you have, and second, don't generalize me with the "rush in and shoot close range like lemmings" thing because for one, i don't do that, and two however style i choose to play at whichever time, i am better at it than you, and so i don't think you should count me in the generalizations

third, wanting a disadvantage just means your clearly not very good when its even playing field and skill matters more, the better squads win nowadays and because of skill and/or lag/cheats but not because of having bigger resolutions

and this game was fun back in 99/2000 etc because it was way more populated and we were all young and new to the game, not because players had advantages

and there may not be anything to win for you nas, but considering how you were never a strong player and carried by those around you, id like to see you win something with yourself at the forefront, but of course i dont think you can considering how bad your squad is doing in twd

basically, all of those that ive seen support the higher res issue are generally not the top players in their respected ship... and the ones opposed are those that want to keep the playing field level, even if they have a widescreen monitor, like me

this is a useless topic at this point, 1280x1024 is the normal max res for the majority of monitors, and this game isn't about new gen computers, its good with any shitty computer, which makes it appealing

if you change it to higher res you will see more people quit this game then they already do now, and you talk about getting new players... well you have fun waiting years for them to catch up to your level nasir while all the vets quit because they don't want to play on a higher res
                    RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

why can't anyone realize that the majority of players DON'T HAVE A MONITOR THAT GOES OVER 1280 X 1024??

why can't anyone realize that 4:3 ISN'T EQUAL TO BOTH SIDES - IT ALREADY HAS A LEFT-RIGHT ADVANTAGE AND 16:10 AMPLIFIES THIS ADVANTAGE

why can't anyone realize that MOST WIDESCREEN MONITORS CAN SHOW 4:3 RESOLUTION

why can't anyone realize that ANYONE WHO PLAYS 1024 X 768 (OR LOWER) WILL HAVE AN EVEN HARDER TIME COMPETING AGAINST 1440 X 900 (OR HIGHER)

why can't people realize that WHEN I BOUGHT MY BRAND NEW COMPUTER 5 YEARS AGO IT CAME WITH A FRIKIN 15" MONITOR AND SO DID A LOT OF OTHERS

why can't people realized that THE FORUM GOERS PROBABLY HAVE BETTER MONITORS THAN THE AVERAGE PLAYER, SINCE THEY ARE SO "INTO" THE GAME THAT THEY FEEL I SHOULD GO OUT AND BUY NEW PARTS TO PLAY A GAME THAT'S OVER TEN YEARS OLD

why can't people realized that MAYBE THIS GAME SHOULDN'T CATER TO HIGH-END SYSTEMS THAT ARE PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING THE GAME "AS-IS"

why can't people realize that THE BETTER RESOLUTION YOU PLAY WITH, THE EASIER THE GAME IS -- ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE THE GAME EASIER AND LOWER GENERAL PLAYER SKILL?
                      .fffffffff_____
                      .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                      .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                      .fffffff\______/
                      .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                      .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                      .fffff\________/
                      .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                      .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                      .fff\__________/

Comment

tl;dr
                        .fffffffff_____
                        .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                        .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                        .fffffff\______/
                        .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                        .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                        .fffff\________/
                        .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                        .fff\__________/

Comment

You do realize (And I said this already) that a lower res actually helps with rushing, which is the easiest way to kill if your any good at it at all...*shrug* I myself suck at it.
                          _-Tri/p_

Comment

Lower res doesn't help with rushing from my experience. You can't see the bullets coming until too late, higher res allows you to better anticipate your enemies next movement and time your rushes better.

Comment

lower res helped with rushing in 99.. as in you were pretty much forced to rush when you had 1024 res and were playing versus 2048, because you'd never come out as winner in a radar fight (since they'd see your shots coming from miles away and you wouldn't), so at most low res 'forced' you to become a good rusher..

however it's still easier to rush with a big res, because you can still see bullets coming from further away..

next shitty argument please?

Comment

1280 * 1024 = 1310720 pixels.
                                1440 * 900 = 1296000 pixels.

14720 pixels less with the WS setting than with the standard setting (98.87% of the size).

In other words, this resolution has a smaller total viewing area.

There will be no more stupid arguments that this would give us a larger viewing area, do the fucking math yourselves.

Now, the only argument left to make is that it's a tactical advantage to see more of the sides, but less above and below. This is total bullshit. In base you already fit both sides with the standard setting, and you got more room to spot ships coming from below. However, since the difference is so fucking little, normal users won't get a significant advantage over WS users. If there was a difference in the dueling leagues, it would be equally insignificant.

The best tactical resolution would be 1152*1152, giving you a perfect square, and allowing you to see the bullets coming from either the sides or above/below from max distance. The WS screen is going in the opposite direction of this, leaving WS players even more vulnerable from shots/rushes from above/below. However, since the difference is fucking small between 1024 and 900, I'd say that it's pretty insignificant here too.

This change isn't to get advantages over others, it's just childish trying to demonize the intentions of those supporting the change. We just want to play the game fullscreen without it getting stretched. If this is hard to understand, I'll dumb it down for you: Game looks ugly by default, needs a fix.
                                Last edited by Noah; 05-09-2008, 05:35 AM.
                                Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Working...
                                X