Distension before TWL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Codeman! View Post
    on a final note, there's a stronger sense of comradery among the dist brotherhood than tw has ever seen. we may hate each other while the teams are imbalanced, but when we come back the next evening and those people are helping to win, it really works wonders. after a while you know youve killed everybody and theyve all killed you. and we're talking about 100+ people, who've spent hours teaming together. i suppose an underlying issue is that the leagues are intrinsically exclusive. they rely on very small groups of people, if not 1 or 2 to get the wins. thats sad, and honestly, would be better if those people had their own damn mini-zone. disters are a fellowship, and a progressive one with valiant leaders, vets who arent converted but truely thriving from the inspired/inspiring essence of it(simultaneously enjoying the leagues if theyre relied on). these same vets are 8/10ths as good as the twl wilt chamberlains. but fuck it not all of us are asians with stable 300ms or 6 and a half foot africans. the collective unit here finds the arguments immature, and 95% of us haven't bothered to bitch back. proves that we dont waste our time as efficiently. we consume it with goal orientation, and sparingly like true warriors. we're the 300, and twlers are the wannabe persian army. unfortunately their forces are ignorable, and their leaders pompous. plus how can you guys hate on HMS he sounds like spongebob squarepants. trampling the fields around us wont do shit when we've got the goats trail precipice.
    It proves that 95% you don't even know this game has a forums cuz we just play distension lolz.

Distension is just the WNBA, after a few years it will close down, and then you will just be giant ugly women again.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

• a couple of twd games sure, a recycle once in a while sure. However shits happening on a daily basis. Heck as we have seen yesterday 2 times, even taking out the twd bots for 2 hours. When people on your squad come online to twd, and all the bots are gone for 2 hours over something that shouldnt be fully released til its bug free then of course we are gonna complain. This shit shouldnt be happening on a daily basis. Anyone and everyone should know this.
      Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
      2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
      2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

• And we all do know it HTF. You’re just re-saying what was said 2 pages ago.

If you’re so confident that Distension interest will dwindle, why do you give so much of a shit?

If the bot can run stably, what is the harm in keeping the 200+ distension players in TW? Because it detracts from the other parts of the zone? You mean the parts that the distension players don’t play/don’t want to play?

Can you deny that there is a large subset of the community, all be it newer, that play distension regularly and enjoy it? Do you honestly wish to alienate all of these players for the sake of drawing larger TWL crowds?

In the past two seasons of TWL how many new squads have been formed? How many TWL players this year haven’t already played a season of TWL? How old is distension again?

I really wish I could say ‘fuck it I’m done with this, and all the other, distension threads’. The problem is, if I stopped advocating for distension, who would be left? Cheese and DankNuggets? I’m pretty sure Stab gave up on these threads a while ago.
        Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
        Message has been sent to online moderators
        2:BLeeN> veh yes
        (Overstrand)>no
        2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
        2:BLeeN> ok then no
        :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
        (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

• not to discredit you, or to disrespect trench wars, but before 'all the rage', weren't almost all of you saying tw was dying, that it was only a matter of time? i will admit that distension is designed around preventing discouragement, and this detracts from the attitudes prevalent in twl squads. shit thats already cut out will be fine, hence the 160 people for quake v. whomever. but if you dont like poker dont tell the players to break the stick and shove the sharp ends up their asses. especially not because it adds a noise level to your precious bar stool roost. instead order a tall glass of i'm content losing to thunder, and let the budding flaggers be relentless as well. distension is the vagina you wanted before you saw one. twl is the anus the distensioners will never get. for fucks sake, lets settle with oral and call it quits.
          Indoleamines such as LSD work as partial agonists at 5-HT2A receptors, mediating enhancement of nonsynchronous, late components of glutamatergic excitatory postsynaptic potentials at apical dendrites of layer V cortical pyramidal cells in the noradrenergic locus coeruleus and the cerebral cortex to produce higher-level cognitive, perceptual, and affective distortions.

Comment

• Didn't read this thread because it's not like I can do fuckall anything about it. If Distension is causing lag issues then it is appropriate to control its being hosted around TWL. Otherwise stop telling TW players what to play and when to play it. If everyone wants to go play Distension instead of TWD then get over it and tailor to the wants of the community.

Comment

• I want distension in this zone drawing in players HOWEVER I don't care how popular it is it doesn't deserve to be hosted any more than a regular event, the fact that we give it a 20 or 30 hour a week schedule is retarded at best. It needs to be used during down times to bring up populatin. It doesn't need to be hailed as the new TW which it is. Distension can work with TW but first things first, the newbies who cry about it being hosted 24/7 need to be reprimanded for being annoying like anyone else would to does 3-4 help calls a day to get distension started. We need someone in charge of this thing that doesn't decide to host it before TWL when it is known to cause problems. Distension doesn't need its own staff seperate from regular staff, any mod or smod should be able to start it or turn it off. There are tons of glaring problems with this game, the way it is hosted, the way it is seen, and basically all I am trying to do is make it so Distension is nothing other than a hosted event like the thousands of other events in TW. Albeit a popular one that is hosted more numerously than the others. How can anyone who doesn't have their head up their rank 50 ass not agree with what I am saying here?

But the #1 thing that "distension" people need to understand is that Distension will NEVER be the core reason to play TW, TWL/TWD/Publics will always be the #1 core values of TW, and anyone who wishes to change that because lulzdistension is fun is a moron. And yes there are people who are trying to do this.

Distension needs oversight, simple as that, and it isn't getting it with the person who is currently there to oversee it.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

• wark, no one agrees with you as often on this forum as yourself. No one else constantly quotes themsleves or says "I am right" nearly as often.

I think you really get a hard on every time you see "wark is right". In fact, it might be the only way you can even get it up. That might explain why you are constantly attesting to the veracity of your statements.

Obviously I believe I am right when I post ideas, but I at least try to defend them (instead of saying I'm the most popular hoster, the savior [read: "i built the game, i expanded the game, i bettered the game"], or that you guys are all newbs and that I've been wasting a lot more of my life playing this game than you) by posting arguments with evidence, and responding to your accusations with evidence.

You provide zero evidence in 99% of your posts. The one piece of evidence you had, I called into question because it was obvious that you copy/pasted arbitrarily your lag values. Unless you reconnected like 5 times, and then re-ordered all your values so that they weren't chronological, they don't make sense. Your high pings (note, not evidence of lag) went up and down randomly, something that doesn't happen if you sit there and do a ?lag every few minutes without reconnecting. Your packetloss might have seemed like it was steadly increasing or something, but again I don't think you did it in order because of the high ping values. Not to mention it's a lot less work to just copy/paste ACTUAL log or just printscreen it. Oh wait, it's a lot less work just to make it up so it sounds right.

You're a joke. And not a funny, ha-ha kind of joke. You're just the funny, queer type. Vehicle was right, you serve no purpose in "moving TW forward" besides HoN. And if you didn't write those, you would have been banned from the forums anyway.

well i guess i was wrong about one thing: i'm sure HTF will come around to quote your post and reply "THIS". I really don't know what happened to that guy, he used to be pretty cool a few years ago. I guess he's out to gain popularity somehow, even if it's associating himself with people like you.
                .fffffffff_____
                .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                .fffffff\______/
                .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                .fffff\________/
                .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                .fff\__________/

Comment

• Why is this newbie talking to me? I am obviously much better than him, and he doesn't help his cause at all.
                  Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

• Originally posted by kthx View Post
                    Distension doesn't need its own staff seperate from regular staff, any mod or smod should be able to start it or turn it off. There are tons of glaring problems with this game, the way it is hosted, the way it is seen, and basically all I am trying to do is make it so Distension is nothing other than a hosted event like the thousands of other events in TW. Albeit a popular one that is hosted more numerously than the others. How can anyone who doesn't have their head up their rank 50 ass not agree with what I am saying here?
                    Originally posted by Vehicle
                    You all are just so caught up in your own tired bullshit to step away and realize that Distension doesn’t have to be bad for the zone and it might have something to do with a total lack of organizational prowess on the part of the people running it that is fucking it up so bad for you.
                    So what are you trying to prove exactly? Not to mention this post is counter intuitive to every other damn post you've made about Distension.
                    Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                    Message has been sent to online moderators
                    2:BLeeN> veh yes
                    (Overstrand)>no
                    2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                    2:BLeeN> ok then no
                    :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                    (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

• Well its like we are playing tugawar, if I let go then distension pubbers take over the zone, so I have to balance it out carefully, I have to strike hard and then hang around the mid for awhile while the enemy is still reeling from his obvious defeat.
                      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

• Originally posted by Vehicle View Post
                        I really wish I could say ‘fuck it I’m done with this, and all the other, distension threads’. The problem is, if I stopped advocating for distension, who would be left? Cheese and DankNuggets? I’m pretty sure Stab gave up on these threads a while ago.
                        don't stop advocating it if you can. i asked some ppl a few days ago on the distension chat if i should just stfu. no one said anything, or i would. Believe me, I'd like to quit responding to all these false accusations too, but if we do, eventually people will assume that they were right without figuring it out on their own.

I'm not nearly as fanatical over this game as i might seem. i haven't played it at all since the new schedule(s). Obviously I'm not the "nerd who wants to play it 24 hours a day to rank his ship higher than everyone else."

I'm advocating for 24/7 (with usage restrictions) for one reason mainly: to allow people to play when they want (like twd) instead of scheduling their lives around it. A second reason is that if it's 24/7, it will have less people in the arena at any given time. This will free up people to do other things as well as put less overall stress on the server.

I might seem fanatical because I have a lot of free time to browse these forums at work, and because most distension players don't. Obviously wark is just as fanatical over killing distension, look at the frequency of his posts as well.

But what he has yet to admit, is that if distension is hosted with the frequency of other events, it won't work. He understands this. If it is another zone it won't work. He understands this as well. It would be nice if he'd stop pretending to offer solutions that he is fully aware of aren't usable. He wants it to die, regardless of what he might have said in the previous post.

At least i'm not gonna lie to you
                        .fffffffff_____
                        .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                        .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                        .fffffff\______/
                        .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                        .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                        .fffff\________/
                        .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                        .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                        .fff\__________/

Comment

• the people who refuse to play distension because its an rpg requiring patience, or that it strays minutely from the original settings - what they fear is when distension is tested to it's fullest (which has yet to be) and the results they can predict. the problem is that they are pessimists, perhaps realists, but all they do is point out the technicalities, like staff disorganization. that's like saying you refuse to accept that the students in a class should take the final exam because their teacher wore the same tie twice in a row, or arrived 15 minutes late. you are rallying around the classroom door with your personal attacks, vaguely alluding to a positivity. well if you're happy people are happy for the popularity, provide the damn pencils or pull an elvis and gtfo the building. the first option, providence, is kept from you. we dont want your pencils and we wouldnt use them. you wont ever have control over staff organization technicalities and their leeway. we came prepared with pens to draw things on your sleeping body when you exhaust yourself in protest. the teacher may even fart on your face. we get credit for taking that class even if the exam was bullshit, and everybody flunked. the dedication is within a recognizable boat. but if your protests hold any water, its because you predict distension wont dwindle, and you can only bluff. did you know the human body has enough led to make more pencils than you've carried? you're gunna have to kill us to prevent our 'foolish escapade into waste', but we have binders to protect from those led tips, not that you have any more courage than the silent boy who always gets A+. distension was designed to prevent discouragement, and next semester we're going to close the main doors from your kind.
                          Indoleamines such as LSD work as partial agonists at 5-HT2A receptors, mediating enhancement of nonsynchronous, late components of glutamatergic excitatory postsynaptic potentials at apical dendrites of layer V cortical pyramidal cells in the noradrenergic locus coeruleus and the cerebral cortex to produce higher-level cognitive, perceptual, and affective distortions.

Comment

• Originally posted by HateTheFake View Post
                            I think even Elmer Fud could have written a more coherent post
                            Originally posted by kthx View Post
                            Distension is just the WNBA, after a few years it will close down, and then you will just be giant ugly women again.
                            I just wanna say that even though the both of you annoy the shit out of me, both of those quotes made me looool.

Anyway, I just think it's unfortunate that Distension caused any sort of crashing issues to begin with, because I'm pretty sure not many would be against it at all right now. I don't believe that Distension even caused the lengthy bot/web downtime yesterday, as the crash happened nearly an hour after Distension had ended. Can you see how frustrating it would be from the other side, when no matter what happens, people blame Distension? Distension has pretty much become the Jews of Trench Wars.

However, yeah, I'm pretty sure it did recycle the game server twice last night, and I'm in total agreement toward not hosting it until that is remedied.
                            sdg

Comment

• Where to start. Dank no idea what happened to you, im simply posting why i felt it shouldnt be hosted all that long right now. Codeman i have played distension, even had many ships 20-45 range in levels. There are things that can be done to fix distension up some.

Lets look at the facts
                              Distension causes lag/server recycles, we can all agree with this now. My main deal is that why are we still hosting for a ton of hours if this is still the case?

Look if distension ran smoothly and never once again effected the zone in a negative lag/recycle impact i would be fine with it. If you firmly believe distension to be the saving grace of tw, wouldnt you want it to run flawlessly without causing lag and recycles?

I believe the problem here isnt distension, as it is the player base. We need to advertise get players to come to trenchwars. If we were at 1000 people right now i dont think anyone would be complaining about enough people at events.

Everyone should do their part and help advertise this zone, we got a donation link, to which i know warks donated a nice sum to, as well as the 100 bucks i put in last week. If you see a noobie be nice to them, show them commands. Chill in pubs a few hours a week.

So:
                              Fix Distension
                              Donate to Advertising
                              Spread continuum around to other forums/sites
                              Be Nice To Noobies

Also: change the pms back to green in distension and maybe more players will go to events. I know when i was there i always missed pms, and adverts
                              Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                              2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                              2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

• Originally posted by HateTheFake View Post
                                Where to start. Dank no idea what happened to you, im simply posting why i felt it shouldnt be hosted all that long right now. Codeman i have played distension, even had many ships 20-45 range in levels. There are things that can be done to fix distension up some.

Lets look at the facts
                                Distension causes lag/server recycles, we can all agree with this now. My main deal is that why are we still hosting for a ton of hours if this is still the case?

Look if distension ran smoothly and never once again effected the zone in a negative lag/recycle impact i would be fine with it. If you firmly believe distension to be the saving grace of tw, wouldnt you want it to run flawlessly without causing lag and recycles?

I believe the problem here isnt distension, as it is the player base. We need to advertise get players to come to trenchwars. If we were at 1000 people right now i dont think anyone would be complaining about enough people at events.

Everyone should do their part and help advertise this zone, we got a donation link, to which i know warks donated a nice sum to, as well as the 100 bucks i put in last week. If you see a noobie be nice to them, show them commands. Chill in pubs a few hours a week.

So:
                                Fix Distension
                                Donate to Advertising
                                Spread continuum around to other forums/sites
                                Be Nice To Noobies

Also: change the pms back to green in distension and maybe more players will go to events. I know when i was there i always missed pms, and adverts
                                you make a much better post when you put your ideas in it instead of just copying other's.

if you had been posting like this from the start, i'd be agreeing with you.

I agree with your facts. The exception is the first one, because while distension has caused server recycles, it most certainly does not cause them all of the time. If it never failed, we wouldn't know there was a problem.

I agree that the # of recycles seems really high lately, and that should be taken care of. This doesn't mean changing the schedule, it means fixing the code. If the code can't be worked on right away, then it isn't/shouldn't be hosted until the problem's fixed.

When update are put in, they should be tested at first. This doesn't happen as often right now, because Qan's the only one updating the bot (AFAIK) and he isn't exactly on a lot. He doesn't have a lot of time to test the updates, which he's put quite a few on lately. Most are to fix things like the queue, which is causing problems to both sides. He's not always there when it runs, so it takes a knowledgable OP to figure out what causes a crash, when it crashes. They also have to decide if it's distension or TW related, if it has to do with a particular part of bad code, bandwith problems, or if it was a seemingly random occurance. It's not a one-shot deal.

I agree with you that the problem is the playerbase. It's been that way with quite a few things recently: elimbeta, beelim, purepub, just to name a few. We wouldn't need to change elims if we had the poplulation in them, we wouldn't need to tweak pubs constantly if we had 4 full ones. Factioning occured all the time, it's only now with such a finite # of players that it becomes such an evident problem. It's no secret to me that the underlying distrust or dislike of distension is that it's stealing players from other parts of TW. This wouldn't be a problem if we had enough to go around. That being said, splitting the zone up would be the worst possible move if the goal is player retention.

We have some pretty polarizing views on world subjects, but i've considered you a pretty nice guy, and a friend in the game. I'm glad you realized how just quoting wark over and over is not helping TW at all. By adding your own opinions you get people to actually respond to you instead of everyone acting like a jackass. I respect your opinions as long as you include room for me in them.
                                .fffffffff_____
                                .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                                .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                                .fffffff\______/
                                .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                                .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                                .fffff\________/
                                .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                                .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                                .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                                .fff\__________/