No announcement yet.

Client Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been testing wifi adapter settings for a couple of weeks, game feels better, although it's hard to prove.

Packet Coalescing

"Packet Coalescing" can also be called "Interrupt Moderation" so substitute where appropriate.

Instructions to disable wifi "Packet Coalescing" on Windows 10
    1. Open Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre
    2. Click "Change adapter settings" (on the left)
    3. Right click on your wifi adapter > Properties
    4. Click the button "Configure"
    5. Click the tab "Advanced"
    6. Set "Packet Coalescing" to "Disabled"

WTF does this setting do?
    Source: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=727946014
    Interrupt Moderation

RECOMMENDATION:
    Turn off if you can afford to; your mileage may vary.

REASON(S) TO TURN OFF:
    Acts like a packet buffer for sending interrupts. “Allows the network driver to wait for enough packets of information to be generated before sending them, lowering the necessary number of times the driver has to send an interrupt message, which in turn lowers the CPU latency. However this has a negative effect in situations where it is necessary for data to be sent immediately. Disabling Interrupt Moderation will slightly increase CPU time; however the trade off is better registry in games” (SOURCE: [PSA] REDDIT).
    “Disable the Interrupt Moderation setting for network card drivers that require the lowest possible latency” (SOURCE: TechNet). Even Microsoft agrees.

REASON(S) TO LEAVE ON:
    Depending on the program and the hardware, you may not have the CPU runtime to spare, as turning Interrupt Moderation off “can use more CPU time and it represents a trade-off” (SOURCE: TechNet). It’s possible that without this setting on, you will lose performance by increasing the already taxed CPU-load.
    Other theoretical reasons are that it improves latency at the CPU and the gains on that level exceeds the loss of latency in the network... or the NIC can handle the offloads/buffers enough to justify the CPU latency gains.

AUTHOR’S NOTE:
    This is usually the biggest culprit of the primaries. This is due to the idea of ‘one packet, one interrupt’ which helps mitigates non-recoverable packet losses common to problematic online gaming. The principle is that one packet comes in, it gets a response from your system, the CPU turns it around back to the network card and it goes back out, for each packet. When they build up, the interrupts leaving your system pile up and delay your response. It’s hard to see how this couldn’t make any online gameplay that relied on time-critical elements problematic.

MTU Size

Instructions to set the correct MTU size (Do it for both ipv4 and ipv6)
    https://homenetworkgeek.com/mtu-size/

WTF does this setting do?
    MTU size is the maximum packet size that can be transmitted over your network. Finding the best MTU size and changing it is worth doing should you experience a decrease in speed, lag or even complete disconnections on your network.

If your line has a Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) limit of 1492 bytes per packet and Windows is trying to send 1500 bytes per packet, your line will constantly snip 8 bytes off the Windows-borne packet, causing fragmentation. Fortunately, while divining the correct value is its own work, the process of changing the MTU value is relatively simple and painless. You just have to be willing to use command-line!
    Last edited by Rab; 04-22-2022, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rab View Post
      Aim is 100x better in fullscreen(1440p) compared to windowed(1920x1200) as enforced by all competitive wb arenas. Res limit rules me out from even attempting to compete at wb. I think a big part of it is having the ship centered.

Edit: ... and having radar + energy in the place I'm trained to glance at.
      just checking, but you dont have scaling on, do you? my laptop used to do really dumb things when i tried to make it go into full screen. turns out i was scaling to 125% and it couldnt cope and the display did dumb things.

youre much better at computery things than me though so this is likely not the issue, but just wanted to check

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Nah it's a PC at 100%

I'm just trying to say I'm 20 years used to this: https://imgur.com/tk9Bxpp

To satisfy the res limit I get a window that looks like this: https://imgur.com/pfHJ6xk

It starts in the top left corner every time. So I try to drag it centred, but don't get it exactly the same every time.

Notice how my radar, nrg, etc. are not where I'm used to looking.

1920x1080 does not go into 2560x1440p exactly, so any attempt to full screen a res within the limit will blur.
        Last edited by Rab; 04-22-2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

there used to be a way to force it to a proper resolution with black bars on either side to adjust for the mismatch

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

An update on GPU utilization, using Nvidia Driver 512.15

GPU: GTX 1080

At 1440p with no framerate limit, fps=144, gpu=97% [a maxed out gpu]
            At 1440p with framerate limit, fps=100, gpu=65% [unplayable stuttering]

1920x1200 window with no framerate limit, fps=144, gpu=38%
            1920x1200 window with framerate limit, fps=100, gpu=24% [irritating stuttering]

The main takeaways:
            - framerate limit causes stuttering which is either unplayable or irritating depending on resolution.
            - 1440p unlimited maxes out the gpu, a maxed out gpu causes latency as frames arrive but the gpu is too busy to deal with them, this latency impacts competitiveness.
            - windowed 1920x1200 unlimited is the only way to play this game currently that doesn't have a massive issue.

Eco warrior hat on:
            - If we know the client has high gpu utilization (and therefore power draw, and electric bill) over 1920x1200, maybe there's an argument for a 1920x1200 res limit zone-wide to keep the game's carbon footprint in check.
            - I realise that's the opposite of what I've always said, so I hate saying it, but the data has changed so it's reasonable that the conclusion changes too.

Comment

lol, further observation:

When you're in windowed mode and you tab out so the chat window opens, the gpu is still rendering the game window so there's the load and electricity cost of that.

I noticed this because I'm used to full screen mode, which when tabbed out to the chat window uses 0% gpu.
              (I usually leave the chat window open so I see when the bd arena fills up)

So that's an environmental downside of windowed mode.

That'll be why there's a "Full Screen Only" chat window option.

++ Noticed when you use windowed mode with chat window off you can minimize the game window, then it's 0% gpu.

Comment

Nice tool for keeping an eye on pc vitals:
                https://github.com/ArcadeRenegade/SidebarDiagnostics

Comment

Now with no chat window it seems the game doesn't flash on the taskbar when minimised and a green message is received. So games are gonna start and I won't notice.

so u need the chat window on, for the flashing when shit happens
                  but the chat window covers ur game window
                  and if u dont minimise ur game window properly, then it continues using gpu
                  Last edited by Rab; 09-23-2022, 06:55 PM.

Comment

An update on GPU utilization, using Nvidia Driver 512.15

GPU: GTX 1080

At 1440p with no framerate limit, fps=144, gpu=97% [a maxed out gpu]
                    At 1440p with framerate limit, fps=100, gpu=65% [unplayable stuttering]

1920x1200 window with no framerate limit, fps=144, gpu=38%
                    1920x1200 window with framerate limit, fps=100, gpu=24% [irritating stuttering]

The main takeaways:
                    - framerate limit causes stuttering which is either unplayable or irritating depending on resolution.
                    - 1440p unlimited maxes out the gpu, a maxed out gpu causes latency as frames arrive but the gpu is too busy to deal with them, this latency impacts competitiveness.
                    - windowed 1920x1200 unlimited is the only way to play this game currently that doesn't have a massive issue.

Eco warrior hat on:
                    - If we know the client has high gpu utilization (and therefore power draw, and electric bill) over 1920x1200, maybe there's an argument for a 1920x1200 res limit zone-wide to keep the game's carbon footprint in check.
                    - I realise that's the opposite of what I've always said, so I hate saying it, but the data has changed so it's reasonable that the conclusion changes too.
                    FWIW, I use a Asus 3060 TUF on latest drivers, on 1920x1080 at 144fps framerate limit (edit - Within NVidia control panel, not the continuum client), it runs like butter, no stuttering at all. I'm not at my PC atm but without limit I think it went over 1000. I have things like Software Emulation ticked.

Edit - follow up on settings :

Continuum Client

Advanced Options

Ticked
                    Software Emulation
                    Avoid Page Flipping
                    No Framerate Limit
                    Show Default Resolutions

Unticked
                    Diable Clipping
                    All 'force into RAM' options

Graphics

Ticked
                    Translucent Effects
                    Show Bomb Trails
                    Show Bullet/Shrap Trails
                    Show Ball Trails
                    Colour Depth : 32

Unticked
                    Show Backgrounds
                    Show Stars
                    Detailed Explosions
                    Rolling Ship
                    Visible Thrust
                    Adjust Brightness

Graphics Card

Card Info

[Display]
                    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
                    DirectX version: 12.0
                    GPU processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
                    Driver version: 516.94
                    Driver Type: DCH
                    Direct3D feature level: 12_1
                    CUDA Cores: 3584
                    Resizable BAR No
                    Core clock: 1852 MHz
                    Memory data rate: 15.00 Gbps
                    Memory interface: 192-bit
                    Memory bandwidth: 360.05 GB/s
                    Total available graphics memory: 20437 MB
                    Dedicated video memory: 12288 MB GDDR6
                    System video memory: 0 MB
                    Shared system memory: 8149 MB
                    Video BIOS version: 94.06.25.00.9B
                    IRQ: Not used
                    Bus: Unknown bus
                    Device ID: 10DE 2504 88161043
                    Part Number: G190 0051

Program Specific Settings : Continuum

Low Latency Mode: Ultra
                    (Everything else 'global settings')

Global Settings

Image Scaling: Off
                    Ambient Occlusion: Off
                    Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
                    Antialiasing - FXAA: On
                    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
                    Antialiasing - Mode: Application controlled
                    Antialiasing - Setting: Application controlled
                    Antialiasing - Transparency: 2x (supersample)
                    Background Application Max Frame Rate: Off
                    CUDA - GPUs: All
                    DSR - Factors: 2.00x;4.00x
                    DSR - Smoothness: 33%
                    Low Latency Mode: Off
                    Max Frame Rate: 144 FPS (this is my monitor's refresh rate)
                    Monitor Technology: G-SYNC Compatible
                    Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off
                    OpenGL rendering GPU: Auto-select
                    Power management mode: Normal
                    Preferred refresh rate (): Highest available
                    Shader Cache Size: Driver Default
                    Texture filtering - Aniotrpic sample optimisation: Off
                    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow
                    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
                    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: Auto
                    Threaded optimisation: Auto
                    Triple buffering: Off
                    Vertical sync: Off
                    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1
                    Virtual Reality - Variable Rate Super Sampling

System Information

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 52 °C, Matisse 7nm Technology
                    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
                    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) (AM4) 29 °C
                    Graphics: Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1892x917@32Hz)
                    Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 30 °C
                    Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 (SATA ) 28 °C
                    Storage:238GB SanDisk SD8SNAT256G1122 (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
                    Storage:931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
                    Optical Drives: No optical disk drives detected
                    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
                    Last edited by Kassius; 09-26-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Now with no chat window it seems the game doesn't flash on the taskbar when minimised and a green message is received. So games are gonna start and I won't notice.

so u need the chat window on, for the flashing when shit happens
                      but the chat window covers ur game window
                      and if u dont minimise ur game window properly, then it continues using gpu
                      Rab I do have a channel on discord I can set you up on that will let you know anytime a TWD match starts if you like.
                      rEnZi> just looking at rageritual tilts me
                      rEnZi> its crazy
                      rEnZi> thats real power

Siaxis> yo it was way harder to kill Rage then beam in that dtd

Comment

I'm using the chat window again, the flashy flashy for PMs is essential. Just gotta remember to click minimise on the game window instead of leaving it running behind the chat window.

Comment

Working...
                        X