Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rab
    replied
    Nobody asked for that and it doesn't do anything to ensure captains are good quality. It's just some off-topic random requirement you just made up.

Leave a comment:

• Falconeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rab View Post
    It's not supposed to be fair or just, it's supposed to produce good basing games, and that means excluding people.
    Experienced basers are all saying the same thing, and you're still arguing against it, that's pretty derpy IMO.

The whole point of this thread is to get good quality captains. If this feature existed then good captains would not want to cap.
    Good captains want control of who is on their team, because they are experienced enough to know who to add and when.
    If you could stop suggesting things that do the opposite of what we're trying to achieve that'd be cool.
    I don't get it. We agree that a stacked team is not good for the game right? Therefore we must agree the point of the thread is that the two competing teams are balanced. One way to achieve this is to have two captains of equal talent choose players. This way by the end of picking both teams are fairly even and a fun battle ensues with no one team having clear domination over the other. If you disagree and think stacked teams are good, then you're promoting something I can't support. And if that's the case that also means who cares who captains if the purpose is for 1 team to dominate the other?

If we continue on this premise that teams should be balanced, then I'm fairly certain 7 pro level to average level players can carry 1 inexperienced player. Therefore there is room for 1 inexperienced player on each team, which therefore doesn't upset the balance.

So what I'm proposing is actually helpful to the purpose of this thread. It allows captains to have a VIP list of who can captain because it ensures inexperienced players can play. You just have to code it properly, so it works properly.

Another way to do this is have a system in place that forbids the 8th player to be of a certain rating. This way the last player can be decided completely by the captain (it doesn't remove their free will to choose), but the bot confines that choice to a certain level of rated player if one is online. I didn't suggest this because this is way more bot work, qan would have to code for 1 week straight to do this properly.
    Last edited by Falconeer; 02-09-2019, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    If that were true this thread wouldn't exist.

Leave a comment:

• Jessup
    replied
    It is 2019. 80% of population have no issue doing those commands and knowing who is who to add.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Originally posted by qan View Post
    If you don't care enough to put in the time to ensure it's done fairly, it's probably not enough of a problem to justify the risk of it being fixed in a way that could very well be unjust.
    It's not supposed to be fair or just, it's supposed to produce good basing games, and that means excluding people.
    Experienced basers are all saying the same thing, and you're still arguing against it, that's pretty derpy IMO.

Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
    Can we make it so the bot actually adds the 8th person itself? And that person is someone who is low rated/not rated.
    The whole point of this thread is to get good quality captains. If this feature existed then good captains would not want to cap.
    Good captains want control of who is on their team, because they are experienced enough to know who to add and when.
    If you could stop suggesting things that do the opposite of what we're trying to achieve that'd be cool.

Leave a comment:

• Falconeer
    replied
    qan Can we make it so the bot actually adds the 8th person itself? And that person is someone who is low rated/not rated. And they have 5 seconds to type !accept to get in. Otherwise it defaults it back to the captain to add the last person? Like maybe it actually sends a message to the three lowest rated players saying they have 5 seconds to claim spot and the one who does it first gets in.

I feel like this would be a "rule" that would protect new/inexperienced players but give the teams balance, and let the pro's captain all they want. And it "wastes" all but 5 seconds of everyone's time if it doesn't pan through. Not a big deal.

Do you feel this would be a good solution? if not then why not?

Like I know clause is saying he gives new people a chance. But look at that huge ass captains list. I doubt 50% of the captains are as nice as Clause.
    Last edited by Falconeer; 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Majorcrisis2
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessup View Post

Those games were not ruined in the least. I used one warbird to start with and the other team matched it. This is nothing new in ?go base. These type lines have been used for 20 years. Please spare me with the strawman dramatics. Go through each game I have capped in the last year. NOT ONE ISSUE and my team has won probably more than I have lost as a cap. There were no failed games you listed at all.

You yourself asked me to be a jav to break the cram a little past midway point as we were struggling to get in. I obliged you. Johnie did not ruin the game after either. I was not around for the 3rd game but it looks like it was a 6 vs 6 game with some lagout issues. Nothing unusual there. Johnie appears to have corrected this with subs as a proper cap should do. All games were completed without issue.
    You are really missing the point of Ogron
    ​​​​​​unbalanced teams ruin base, even some 'vets' turn it into trolling. Often you see the better team troll around to get a closer match, which you dont see in the time score. But still neither team will really have a good time, atleast i dont when that happens. The quality of even go base matches is very low, hence why i rately play it. Javduel has the same situation sometimes, but it tends to hurt the arena less.

Leave a comment:

• qan
    replied
    If you don't care enough to put in the time to ensure it's done fairly, it's probably not enough of a problem to justify the risk of it being fixed in a way that could very well be unjust.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Well fucking congratulations. Something simple just got made complicated so it will never happen. You win the prize.

Leave a comment:

• qan
    replied
    Captain ability really does need to be quantified, guys, so that people can look over the list and see not whether someone is on it or not, but whether their level of competency as a captain is over a certain threshold. Then people can evaluate both the values applied to each person, and the threshold itself.

The other problem with creating a qualitative whitelist is that it's not immediately obvious who you are adding to a de facto blacklist. And pretty much everyone in this community (myself included) has shown that they are incapable of being impartial or unemotional.

I can provide Ogron's early TSL captain evaluation sheet if that would help get things started.

Leave a comment:

• Jessup
    replied
    Originally posted by Claushouse View Post

There should be a list of who can captain, i.e., everyone who is a 7* or above in TWDT-B. That's an extremely long list of players who at least have some experience in the league and a basic understanding of making decent lines where people can have fun.

Way to bait and switch with this list. Sure doesn't look like the twdtb 7 stars to me.

The true nature of what's going on here is so obvious.

This thread is a RED HERRING

If a list is to be made ...ogrons list is incomplete. Many more players are capable to cap base than this list. For example there is no reason not to allow all the current twd squad captains to be used on the list. I know I definitely deserve to be on it and so do many others I can think of. 15 years capping , starting base as a staffer countless times and claiming cap for games as a player I know all the commands without thought. I also do make adjustments accordingly as the game progresses. I know all these players too and the ships they excel in. A fair chunk on this list are not really active too...so this is allowing a much smaller number than is perceived at first glance here to be in complete control of base. Plenty of other actives are capable too. Not having my name on the list shows how partial ogron/claus is being in going about this.

I still feel this is a non issue too. If anything base has been running SMOOTHER in the last 6 weeks. Why this is even being considered is silly to me.

Leave a comment:

• ogron
    replied
    1. The 30 seconds should be after a game just happened.

2. 90% of games include everyone in the arena and no one sitting. Most veteran captains add newbies. I always ask who wants in and add them in the final 2-3 spots.

3. Whitelist:

MATTEY
    STAYON
    MEGAMAN89
    EASE
    SPEZZA
    JAMAL
    ZIDANE
    TRASHER
    TURBAN
    CAPE
    A2M
    DREAMWIN
    DWOPPLE
    CRIPPLE
    OGRON
    M_M GOD
    HELLKITE
    VELOCE
    SOLACE
    MIKKIZ
    KESS
    CRANIUM
    HULK
    MCVICAR
    FERMATA
    SHAYDE
    ZIZU
    DIAKKA
    DOMI
    GLAVITIK
    CINTRA
    SPIKEY
    VATICAN ASSASSIN
    NL>TRIGGER
    SARGER
    PH
    DAVY
    SKATARIUS
    TABARNAK!!!
    SQUALLFF8
    COMMODO
    TURMIO
    ROYST
    ACIDBOMBER
    THIX
    LUNCH3
    RENZI
    MENELVAGOR
    LEITZ
    JEENYUSS
    ZHOU
    ZIZZO
    TIM
    KATE UPTON
    CIG SMOKE
    WBM
    EELAM
    DEAD_RAIN
    SPHINX
    MYTHRIL
    SUPERSTAR-PROKILLER
    MIKES
    SIKA
    MINOTAR
    BROOKUS
    UNDERCUT
    NECROMOTIC
    GAZO
    PAVEMENT
    CHIEF UTSAV
    DOWNFALL
    ZEEBU
    FLARED
    RODNEY
    RO
    TSUMETAI
    OMEGA RED
    MAJOR CRISIS
    MR. HOMO
    RIVERSIDE
    EVUL
    LIONHEART
    KIAN
    JURASSIC
    HEAVEN
    STEEP
    RICKO
    TJ HAZUKI
    PASKA
    DEVERSE
    LF
    ANIDALIFE
    ZUNG
    MEAN GENE
    ODER
    HENRY SAARI
    RISKE
    OKYO
    RAB
    FIT OF RAGE
    RA
    MARKMRW
    TRANCE
    FIZZY
    TEMPORARY
    RASAQ
    HYDRIDE
    SPRAINED
    KADO
    WEAVER
    DRAFT
    NOKKONEN
    MAKETSO
    KAWRAE
    EVERETT
    NOWYOUDIE
    BACON
    BEANIE
    VYS
    RASPI
    DSIN
    POXY
    APRIX
    STUNG
    FLUDD
    HOLY SHIP
    TRIPIN
    BRAM
    BURNT
    RAPLES
    PURE_LUCK
    MURDER
    WARPORTAL
    GILDER
    RUCCI
    BANKS
    SKYFORGER
    BEAM
    STEADMAN
    RECKFUL
    BONGHITS
    NANTO
    GEIO
    USOI
    WAR
    MILOSH
    BELLFLOWERS
    JATT
    ROZAY
    KATC
    WILLBY
    NOWON
    MORPH
    FIRE PHOENIX
    ERIAS
    ERIAS <ZH>
    SPACEHIKER
    Last edited by ogron; 02-09-2019, 12:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessup View Post
    Those games were not ruined in the least. I used one warbird to start with and the other team matched it. This is nothing new in ?go base. These type lines have been used for 20 years. Please spare me with the strawman dramatics. Go through each game I have capped in the last year. NOT ONE ISSUE and my team has won probably more than I have lost as a cap. There were no failed games you listed at all.
    There's a reality you're in, and a reality everyone else is in.

Leave a comment:

• Jessup
    replied
    Originally posted by Rab View Post
    Sorry qan but you're just wrong. Think of it like any sports team, some players become managers, most don't, it's a different skill set.

Quite a lot of the newbies who are so bad at capping it results in an imbalanced and therefore waste of time game are 7*.
    If you included everyone who's 7* it wouldn't solve anything.
    If you included everyone who's 8* it's less bad, but there's still people in there who can't cap or are inactive.
    I resolved all that for you with my judgement and that's what my list is.
    I'm not saying do exactly what I say, I gave us a starting point that other players can add/remove people from... waiting for someone else to contribute something constructive...

For example, last night we had 3 games in a row ruined by newbie caps.
    Jessup (7*) pissing about with specials vs JAMAL (10*): http://www.trenchwars.org/base/129055
    Johnie (6*) letting JAMAL (10*) have all the top players: http://www.trenchwars.org/base/129056
    Johnie (6*) putting people in the wrong ships vs Morph (8*): http://www.trenchwars.org/base/129057
    People got annoyed and went back to elim. Base could have continued all night, newbies killed it.

You yourself asked me to be a jav to break the cram a little past midway point as we were struggling to get in. I obliged you. Johnie did not ruin the game after either. I was not around for the 3rd game but it looks like it was a 6 vs 6 game with some lagout issues. Nothing unusual there. Johnie appears to have corrected this with subs as a proper cap should do. All games were completed without issue.

Leave a comment:

• skyforger
    replied
    Originally posted by Falconeer View Post
    All i'm trying to say is you want to have rules "protecting" pro players who probably outnumber inexperienced players in ?go base (not many inexperienced players are in there compared to in pub). But by the same token no one wants official rules protecting inexperienced players. There are no rules that I'm aware of that protect new/inexperienced players in league, like at all.

With that said, it's the staff/communities right to do that, if that's what the majority wants. But keep in mind what you sow in the spring, is what you reap in the fall. In my opinion a zone should be trying to cultivate their new players, make it easy for them to enter league without having to jump through hurdles. At the very least some sort of balance between the vet active players and the inexperienced possibly interested in league players should be there. Cultivate the little guy who probably doesn't have many friends in the game, and who is new to league and you effectively ensure in the very long term - future leagues and more fun for yourself and your veteran friends.

Like this should be the golden rule in any game: "I want to be able to logon and not have to wait 1-2 hours to play" Sure it's true in pub, but what if i am seeking out the same fun you are all seeking out in ?go base? But everyone keeps me benched and then dinner is ready and I have to log off?

That's all i'm trying to say. Not trying to ruffle feathers or upset anyone by seeming disagreeable or anything like that. So i just hope you guys keep this in mind, whatever the outcome of this thread, if you see a new guy/girl, invite them to play.
    gotta agree with this

Leave a comment:

Working...
X